Anything To Watch Out For In Replacing Imac Fusion Hdd

Louie55

Registered
I just ran a scan on a friend's iMac using Scannerz and it found tons of problems on the hdd, but the SSD looks clean.

A few years ago some of the iMacs had an odd temp sensor configuration. It could be circumvented by getting a part from OWC or running a fan control program. If memory serves me right it was 2009 and 2010. This unit is a late 2012 unit with a 1TB drive.

Anyone know if such sensors exist on the HDDs used in a Fusion setup? Anything I need to be aware of or other gotchas than may be odd or out of place?

Thanks in advance.

I just ran a scan on a friend's iMac using Scannerz and it found tons of problems on the hdd, but the SSD looks clean.

A few years ago some of the iMacs had an odd temp sensor configuration. It could be circumvented by getting a part from OWC or running a fan control program. If memory serves me right it was 2009 and 2010. This unit is a late 2012 unit with a 1TB drive.

Anyone know if such sensors exist on the HDDs used in a Fusion setup? Anything I need to be aware of or other gotchas than may be odd or out of place?

Thanks in advance.

I went to iFixit.com and found the following. You didn't specify a model but they have guides for everything. Here'a a link for the late 2012 iMac, which I think was the first one with the Fusion drive:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+SSD+Replacement/28992

I didn't see anything about weird heat sensors or anything, so I think Apple learned from that little mistake. One thing I found interesting and sort of surprising: The hard drive replacement is straight forward, or at least as straight forward as servicing an Aluminum iMac can be, but replacing the SSD is a total PIA, requiring almost complete disassembly of the unit. I would have thought they'd stick the SSD and the HDD together but the SSD is located on the back side of the logic board near all the I/O ports and the logic board needs to be taken out to get to it.

I think the days of the proprietary heat sensors are over…I hope so at least.

Back