AOL connection, but no internet browsing connection

dreeb2

Registered
I recently upgraded to 10.1. Everything seemed fine until I tried to get on the internet. I have AOL and my external modem dialed up and connected to AOL, but I could not get on the actual internet at all - even through a different browser (I tried IE 5.1 and Netscape 6). I am now back to 10.0.4 and all is good. Is there a setting I'm missing or is my old SCSI equipment just not the right stuff?

Beige G3, 256 MB, US Robotics 56k x2 modem

Thanks!
Denise

OK. I actually used to beta test for AOL ( up until about 3 weeks ago ) and have a lot of knowledge about this sorta stuff. Need some more info first. Are you using AOL in the classic environment, or one of the betas for OS X. That's the first big question. Wasn't too clear in your post.

Get back to me, and then we'll see if we can solve the problem.

I was using Build 16x of AOL Beta for OS X. I have been keeping up with each released upgrade for the AOL Beta and am now on 17B. I have a Beige G3, so my modem is an external SCSI which isn't support under Classic.

Hmmmm........well, the first thing i would do is check all your modem setting are right, both in the system preferences, as well as in AOL itself. It messes up on the modem settings sometimes.

If that's all OK, then I'm not sure what would be causing it actually. I have heard of this problem a lot with the AOL, and as far as I know, there has not been a solid solution found to the problem yet. If it ain't the modem settings problem, then I throw the problem open to the floor again !

Soz I can't be more help. Modem problems are always trick one's to do over the internet

Just wanted to update my previous post about no internet connection thru AOL. AOL has posted (at keyword: beta) a workaround via a new location in Network Settings. Even though they don't state that you should restart for these changes to take effect, I had to. But it works! I am so happy to be able to stay in 10.1 for everything and able to get my email via Mail.app (even thos I still think Apple needs to have a web-based backup for that). Thanks for your help, Pauldunlop!

Back