AOL headache

cartrich

Registered
Hi there. Any input appreciated here folks.

Machine Model: iMac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 600 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f2
System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.9 (7W98)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.9.0

AOL v 10.3.6 (Revision 4136.291(US))

This is not a huge problem (since there are some work arounds) but something I have been trying to solve just on a matter of principle cuz it just ain't right. On Aug 1, I downloaded and installed the latest security upgrade for OS 10.3.9. My mother is also running the same software set up but on an iMac G4. Everything seems to work alright except our AOL has gotten flakey on us. We are unable to download and open any zip files originating from either of our computers after Aug 1- I get a window that opens in AOL saying that either this zip/gzip file is damaged or it is not a zip/gzip file. If I try to double click on the downloaded zip file I get "Unable to unarchive "FileXYZ.zip" into "/Users/Cartrich/Desktop" (Error 1-Operation not permitted). Also, the zipped icon looks different than they had prior to the securitiy update, now it looks like a sheet of paper with a zipper down the middle and the word zip at the bottom of the zipper, where in the past it had looked like a brown package that had zip and the little vice on it. When I check the file Get Info box it has open with BOMArchive although Stuffit is selectable. In any event, even selecting the Stuffit doesn't work nor does dragging it to the Stuffit application itself.

Also, downloading a single jpeg file no longer seems to work from AOL either. It will download the icon (most of the time) but the size of the file is zero K. When I go to sign off AOL, the file is in the download manager but unable to download. Also, since my mother and I are the only ones in our circle with Macs using AOL, it would seem to be starting at the download stage if I had to guess.

I and others not using AOL on a Mac can access all these files if they are sent to or forwarded to a web based email box on Yahoo, Gmail and even AOL's own AOL.com. They all display and download fine from these to the desktop without a problem. Even downloading the zipped files from AOL's web version of the mailbox works alright.

I have repaired permissions until the cows come home, run the Disk Utility for disk repair, run the hardware tests, trashed the old AOL preferences, unistalled and reinstalled AOL after downloading the most current installer. I have not found any mention of this problem in any searches or on AOL itself. It seems to me that AOL is just moving us to their web site rather than their proprietary software if I had to guess. That's fine if they are, but if that's the case, I missed any mention of it. Anyways, sorry for being so verbose, but too much info is better than not enough. Any clues? :confused:

You have given a lot of data, but virtually no information. Have you and your mother established separate accounts on the computer? If this is the case, then you may be trying to download onto her Desktop, which you don't have permissions to do. Also, you may be logged into your mother's account and trying to download to your own Desktop. IIRC, AOL doesn't really understand that MacOS X is a multiuser OS. Make sure that each of you are logged into the proper AOL account from the proper MacOS X user account. Also, make sure that each of you are downloading to your own Desktops.

Thanks for answering. We are both using separate computers as I had indicated. Me, the G5 in Florida, her the G4 in Connecticut. All had worked well for each of us until the security update. :(

FWIW, I am an AOL subscriber running MacOS X 10.4.2. I seriously doubt that the security update is your problem.

Back