AOL Port Number?

Drizzt

Registered
I've tried asking this on the Macnn forums as well if you happen to be visiting there so sorry if this is a repeat post that you have to read from me ;)

Hi, let me explain the current situation. My dad recently replaced the router that our house uses to connect to the Internet because the old one was apparently not working as well at the time. So he got a NetGear WGR614V4 router. Well it works great except that AOL can no longer sign on. It makes its attempt and then looks like it's going through, but then pops up a dialog saying that it couldn't establish a full connection and that the web access and address book or something may not work properly. From there it either just goes into its spinning ball mode or will act like it's signed on with basically no options available from the top tool bar, and none of the default windows showing. Right now my guess is that the router is blocking off AOL's port, so I was wondering if there is a specific port or range of ports that the AOL client uses that I could configure for the router to allow through. I have looked at NetGear's site without any luck on the specific model. If you need further information, please let me know.

The AIM client on Windows shows the file sharing port that it uses, though a Google search gave me 5190 for AIM connections. I use AIM behind a Linksys firewall with no problems. Does the new firewall block outgoing connections as well as incoming? Most consumer hardware firewalls don't it seems.

Port 5190 is often used only for the first authentification state. After this the Client disconnect from this server (most times login.oscar.aol.com) and connect to the real server. And this server often use port 53.
Don't know why especially because 53 is for dns.

I do have 5190 enabled, and I just tried enabling 53, but I still get the same error :(. Thanks for your help so far! I didn't know about the 53 thing.

Back