Apache 2 complete

pds

Registered
I installed MySQL from these guys and wanted to use their PHP installation too. However, their PHP needs Apache 2.0.48 (they also have a complete installation for that).

I like the complete package of MySQL, it includes a simple pref pane for initializing the program etc. I think the PHP package will have similar advantages.

I use it for personal web sharing on a local network and previewing/testing different PHP-based apps.

My questions are...
Is it reasonable to install Apache 2.0 given the backwards compatibility issues?
Has 2 found its feet in the real world or are most providers still using 1.3?

It seems to me that most places are still using 1.3, because that is what is shipped with most OSes as standard. Yes, 2.0.x comes with most Linux distros now, but i think server installations would probably still default to 1.3 Netware 6 still uses 1.3. Apple still uses 1.3. I think most providers are of the opinion: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. this is usually why major organisations won't always use the very latest and greatest until it's been thoroughly tested, and/or had significant time in the wild for major problems to be found by other users.

Been using Apache2 for a few weeks (albeit on a none essential server). If you are getting under the bonnet of apache (editing the conf files) then it'll take some getting used to (it's more logical in it's layout and structure, broken up into several different directories). But, if as you say, you are just going to install it and flick the switch, I doubt you'd notice any difference whatsoever.

Takes some getting used to...
I guess you mean if I am used to 1.3. I tried rattling around under the hood of 1.3 and couldn't make a real go of it. (I was trying to set up access privileges on a Win installation). If 2.0 is more organized, it should be easier to set it up for specific machines on a hybrid network to access a library program, is that so?

It seems that 2 has been available for some time, yet it is not widely deployed. I realize that if it ain't broke... But is it the future, two or three years down the road?

I want to switch it on and use it, but would like to play around with it and get dirty too.

Pengu is correct. Apache is one of those facilities that, once configured correctly, can happily exist without being touched for months, even years. Hence, not everyone has jumped onto the v2 release quite simply because 1.3 does it's job very well.

Maybe you would find 2 easier to use. I personally got so used to doing everything in one httpd.conf file, that, when 2 split it up into about 5-7 different files, it took some getting used to. But, the reasons are logical, and it's simple enough to figure out.

I don't think you'll have any problems with it, by way of side-effects or performance.

Back