Apache Access Log

AndyB

Registered
Is there an app out there that will output the apache_access_log as people access the web server?

For example, I access my web pages from a browser on another computer -- I want to see a runnning log of what I am accessing and my IP address -- I have seen this in the iTools program (which I removed from my computer) and I have seen this in WebStar --

Is there a simple program that will display the access log, as it is being hit?

Thank you,

Andy

As a stopgap, you could open a new terminal, and pico your log. Just keep hitting the up arrow to keep generating that pico command every time you want to take a look. After control-c, that is. So:

pico path/apache_access_log
see your results
ctrl-c
pico path/apache_access_log (via the up arrow)
see your results
ctrl-c
pico path/apache_access_log (via the up arrow)
see your results
ctrl-c

and so on.

Originally posted by AndyB
Is there an app out there that will output the apache_access_log as people access the web server?

I use a program called BetterConsole from Subsume Technologies (http://www.subsume.com).
I can be set to monitor any number of log files. Very nice. I also modified my Apache configuration file to break the log down into accesses, referers, errors, etc.)

Thank you very much for the quick replies -- Better Console was the answer I was looking for. Webalizer didn't have an OS X version, so I didn't check that.

Is there a place where one can go to find a whole list of apps like Better Console?

Thank you again!

-Andy

BetterConsole is definitely your choice here.

BTW, for those terminal-lovin folks out there. Use 'tail <logfilename>' or better 'tail -f <logfilename>' to follow the output of the log...

dani++

Back