Apache, Airport and Linksys question....

jabhome

Registered
Is it possible to host a website with an iBook using an Airport. The basestation is assigned an IP of 192.168.1.101, and is behind a Linksys DSL Router at 192.168.1.1. I have disabled the DHCP service on the router because in order to enable request forwarding. This is not an issue because I am only dealing with two computers, and I assigned them static IP's of X.X.X.100 and X.X.X.101. I opened the Advanced settings on my router, and forwarded requests on Port 80 to the basestation. The iBook is utilizing DHCP, so the IP is constantly changing, so I can't forward all the http requests from the router to the iBook. I then configured Apache to Listen for those requests at the base stations IP, but nothing happens.

I totally apologize if I am using the terminology wrong, b/c I really have no idea what I am doing. I was just experimenting with this option, since my pacbell webpage will fill up to quickly with all my photos and movies. I just wanted to know if what I am trying is even a possibility, before I spent hours upon hours trying to figure ot out.

The problem is with the DHCP on the iBook. In order for the Linksys router to re-route port 80 requests, you have to define the IP address of the iBook, not the airport basestation.

By default, the Linksys router only DHCPs numbers up to .100, any number after that is available.

You also have to configure the Linksys Router with a Static IP from your service provider. Usually, this is not available to standard home accounts, and you may need to upgrade to the SOHO (home office) or Business service. There are some services that get around Dynamic IPs, but I don't deal with that so I don't know. When you configure the Linksys Router it can route all requests of port 80 at the static IP (provided by DSL provider) and convert them to the appropriate IP that is your iBook. Then you either need to get a DNS (www.mywebsite.com) or use your existing website with a link to your static IP.

I have tried to assign my iBook a static IP, X.X.X.102, but when I do so I lose my internet connection. The only time I am able to connect to the rest of the world is if I use DHCP from the basestation. I will give it another shot, but if memory serves me, it has never worked.

Assuming I am able to finally use a static IP for the iBook, and don't need DHCP enabled to connect to the WWW, will my iBook need to be connected via ethernet, or will my router be able to find my iBook behind the basestation (using air port).

I guess my question is will the forwarding request travel through the base station to my iBook without setting up Apache to listen to the basestations IP.

By the way, are their security issues that I should consider. By default will Apache only allow users to access files located in the /Library/Web Server/Documents/ folder? Or do I need to adjust the httpd.conf file to restrict users to that folder?

Thanks,
Jason

I manually assign my iBook the IP address X.X.X.102, and set the netmask to 255.255.255.0, and set the gateway to the basestation's IP address. When I save, and reload this page, this page will not reload can't be found.

If I change the gateway to the routers internal IP, the same thing occurs.

If I try use DHCP with a fixed IP, oops, same problem.

The only time I am able to connect to the internet is using DHCP.

I thought I read somewhere that in order for an iBook to connect to a basestation was via DHCP, is that correct. If not, it sure seems to be so in this case.

Jason

OK, so I am able to assign the iBook a static IP, but in order to communicate with the base station, the address has to be 10.0.1.X (where X is 2-27). Problem is, the Sislynk forwarding utility only allows you to forward to IP's that look like this, 192.168.1.X.

So now what, it seems like this can't be done unless I am connected via ethernet.

Jason

Originally posted by jabhome
OK, so I am able to assign the iBook a static IP, but in order to communicate with the base station, the address has to be 10.0.1.X (where X is 2-27). Problem is, the Sislynk forwarding utility only allows you to forward to IP's that look like this, 192.168.1.X.

So now what, it seems like this can't be done unless I am connected via ethernet.

Jason

I don't know how the Airport basestation works but if it allows port forwarding then it'll be easy to setup.

Forward port 80 on you Linksys to your Airport basestation and then forward port 80 on the basestation(if possible) to your ibook.

Again, since I'm not quite sure how the basestation works, you have to make sure it has a fixed IP, and doesn't get it from the Linksys(DHCP). Same goes for the ibook. Make sure you give it a static IP as well so you can forward port 80 to it.

So I can forward the port 80 requests from the Base Station to my iBook static IP. This can be accomplished using the Base Station Air Port Admin Utility. Does anyone know what I need to have in each space.

Private Port: ? ( I assume this is 80)
Private IP: ? (incidently by default the admin utility assigns the IP to 10.0.1.201, should I change my TCP/IP settings for the iBook to this IP, or is X.X.X.2 OK)
Public Port: ? ( I assume this is 80 also)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason

you can change the Linksys router to be on the 10.0.0.x network instead of 192.168.1.x.

You can turn off DHCP on the Linksys also and assign it to 10.0.0.2. DHCP dynamically assigns IP when a computer starts up, but will not assign an IP if it is in use. It does not matter if that IP is statically defined by the computer (or base station) or defined by the DHCP server. As long as there are enough IPs available for new computers, there should be no problems.

Now when you are in your web browser, are you typing in your address of the local computer (10.0.0.x)? Or are you typing in the static IP that is assigned by your DSL provider, for example 12.45.79.192. If you do not type this number from the DSL IP, then it will not work from anything outside of your own private network.

Make sure, also that your web sharing is on (for the out-of-the-box Apache), or you have configured the Apache the traditional UNIX way. If the webserver is not running, it will not work.

Got it all up and running, I even had a friend confirm that she was able to access the site. Now my questions has to do with security. Say I want folks to have access to one folder, and all subfolders. I don't want them to touch anything else.

/Library/Web Server/Documents/ and the various /Users/~ibook/sites/ folders.

Other than those folders I don't want anybody touching anything. Is Apache set up to be very strict by defualt. Or is this something that I will have to configure. I have tried to read the apache security tips, and they are talking about scripts, executable htcaccess files, etc. etc. etc., I have no idea what these are, so I am not sure what I need to do to protect myself. Any books or websites that have full proof setups for a basic personal website that will include html, images, mov, rm, wma and sounds. I will likely put all this stuff in one main folder, or the subfolders underneath.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Hello,

I was going to post what I did because I did the same exact configuration. The only difference, with the latest Airport firmware, I was able to seperate the NAT services (firewall) from the DHCP services and turn them both off. At that point the Airport BS was no more functional than just a wireless hub. The Linksys router was in total control control of all forwarding and DHCP.

In order to use iVisit (video conferencing), I had to forward two port numbers to my static IP addressed iBook. This was done in the Linksys - not the base station. Since I was doing short sessioned peer-to-peer, I did not need a static WAN IP address for the router. My family just connectd to my dynamic WAN IP address.

Back