apache web server, what do i do?

bolindilly

John Galt Member
i installed apache, and i own a domain... what do i need to do (step by step) to have my computer serving the web to my domain?
what's this whole "unique ip" thing?
help?

i'm kinda a newbie to this networking stuff, for worked mostly alone and secluded on my computer...

any help would be greatly appreciated...
BoLinDlly

you turned it on in the network preferences, right (Services tab)?

did you try to go to a web browser (IE, Netscape) and input you IP address?

if so, what did you see?

Boolindilly:

Is your domain pointed at your IP address? The network name servers need to know that "www.foo.com" resolves to an actual IP address, somewhere.

The actual ins and outs of getting this done if you want your local Mac to serve pages whenever someone asks for "www.foo.com" are bit tricky. You'll need to have a static IP address (one that doesn't ever change), and then make sure that the domain registrar updates their DNS (domain name servers) to point your domain at your IP address.

If you just want to turn Apache on and serve pages, then "rinse" had good info - just turn it on in the services tab of the network settings in system preferences.

Hope this helps a bit;

-rob.

Originally posted by griffman
Boolindilly:

Is your domain pointed at your IP address? The network name servers need to know that "www.foo.com" resolves to an actual IP address, somewhere.

The actual ins and outs of getting this done if you want your local Mac to serve pages whenever someone asks for "www.foo.com" are bit tricky. You'll need to have a static IP address (one that doesn't ever change), and then make sure that the domain registrar updates their DNS (domain name servers) to point your domain at your IP address.

If you just want to turn Apache on and serve pages, then "rinse" had good info - just turn it on in the services tab of the network settings in system preferences.

Hope this helps a bit;

-rob.

i was going to get to that... but i figured we'd take it one step at a time.

Back