Aperture Doesn't Support Movies

forman

Registered
Those in the "prosumer" market, who are considering purchasing Aperture as a replacement for iPhoto, might be interested to hear that Aperture does not import movies. Unlike iPhoto, Aperture does not import movies from cameras or from an existing iPhoto database. This was rather surprising to me, as I expected Aperture to be an enhanced version of iPhoto.

Granted, it makes sense that Aperture wouldn't support movies, as professional photographers are unlikely to use them. However, those in the semipro market, looking to transition from iPhoto to Aperture, might be expecting that functionality -- I know I was.

Now that I've purchased Aperture, I have the problem of needing to import photos from my camera to Aperture and then importing my movies (and possibly my photos again?) to iPhoto. Eek!

Michael.

You could use the Image Capture application to get the Photos and Movies to automatically go to different locations.

Aperture's target market is professional photographers. Professional digicams don't do movies and neither do the professionals who use them.

After discussion here and on other forums, I've come to understand that Aperture is designed to support the workflow of professional photographers, of which movies have no part.

As a semiprofessional photographer with both a digital SLR for my art and a small camera (with movie-capture capability) for family events, I had hoped that Aperture would provide me with an enhanced toolset and interface, while allowing me to migrate my digital family album (movies and all) to a more sophisticated platform. Now that I've realized I can't do that, I'll be using iPhoto for most things and using Aperture only for special projects.

I've also discovered that Aperture does not work with iLife apps such as iDVD or iMovie. In its current state it's definitely not the super-iPhoto I had expected but instead a stand-alone tool for professional photographers.

Michael.

excluding the movies, can everything else from iPhoto be transferred over to aperture without problems (ie. keywords, comments, titles, ratings, etc.)?

I've been using iPhoto to store my stock photos for a long time and want to switch to something more professional, but the very thought of setting keywords and ratings again to all those photos...yikes.

Thank The Cheese said:
excluding the movies, can everything else from iPhoto be transferred over to aperture without problems (ie. keywords, comments, titles, ratings, etc.)?
I know that it imported my ratings correctly, however I'm unsure of the other metadata.

Michael.

Sadly, Aperture was never intended as a "super-iPhoto". It's actually more of a "Final Cut Pro" for pictures. That's why it costs so much :)

Back