.app won't launch

retrotron

thinking is design
Newbie question here. I can't get my *.apps to launch once I email the *.app to a friend. I build a little application, then I copy the *.app from the project's 'build' directory onto my desktop. When I double click the *.app, it launches and everything works great.

But when I (i) delete the project folder, leaving just the *.app on my desktop, or (ii) email the *.app to a friend, then nothing happens when I or my friend double clicks on the *.app. It won't launch. The appication is just a simple application, basically just a window.

How do I get the application to launch? How do I distribute it so that it works? Is there another step I'm missing that requires me to package it up or something?

According to your sig you're using Panther. Is your friend using Panther as well? In XCode, you have the option to compile for older versions of OSX, provided that you installed the SDKs for those older versions. By default, XCode will build your app using the SDK of the current OS you're in and it may end up that your app is specific to that particular version of OSX only.

How exactly are you copying the .app bundle? A simple CMD + C and CMD + V? That should be enough. When you say it doesn't launch, it doesn't even show an icon on the dock? Take a look in Applications\Utilities\Console.app and see if it has any messages as to why your app won't start.

Make sure you build in 'Deployment' mode and not 'Development' mode. Check under the Detailed Build Settings Menu.

Back