Apple 1 on sale for £ 150,000...

Giaguara

Chmod 760
Staff member
Mod
Now who says the old Macs don't keep their value?
Maybe not always this well but still...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1328439/First-Apple-1-sold-Steve-Jobs-sale-150k.html

The first ever Apple computer that company founder Steve Jobs sold from his parents' garage is up for sale - for a whopping £150,000.

There were about 200 examples of the original 'Apple-1' that were launched in 1976 and only a few survive today.

They came with a tiny 8K memory - 524,000 times less than is standard with today's Apple computers. It would not have the capacity to store one song.

This example will be the first ever to be sold by a major auction house when it goes under the hammer at Christie's of London.

Tech specs for those machines:
Released: July 1976 (discontinued September 1977).
Price: $666.66
Memory: 4K RAM (expandable to 8KB or 48KB using expansion cards).
How many? About 200 total.
CPU: MOS 6502, 1.0 MHz.
Display: Monochrome 280 X 192, 40 X 24 text.
Keyboard: Not included.
Ports: Composite video output keyboard interface, one vertical expansion slot.
Storage: Cassette interface available.
Song storage capacity: Zero

The sale at Christie's in London is on November 23.

I am all for nostalgia......but £150,000 worth of it? I think not!

(I think not, therefore I am not broke - haha!)

Jobs is after all just a man, and a computer is just hardware.

Last edited:
I gotta say, if I had 150,000 pounds of disposable income, this would be extremely tempting.

I'm all for nostalgia. I remember back about 5 years ago when I picked up a couple Apple ][ computers from a pawn shop for $5/ea. that had been laying outside in the overgrown grass and parted them out to build a perfectly-functioning Apple ][. Playing around with our technological past was more than fun.

To have an original Apple? That would be awesome.

Back