apple airport express won't restart

rgould

Registered
My DSL modem came unplugged. After that, I had to reset my wireless network. All went well (I reset the time capsule) until it was time to reset the airport express. After going through the procedure of a hard reset and a factory reset, I go through the setup steps with airport utility. At the end of which, it says "The settings for this apple wireless device have been successfully updated, but there was a problem rejoining the wireless network or finding the Apple wireless device.

I've read about this on the forums and none of the solutions works or applies. (For example, I've got a WPA2 password protection, not WEP.) Never had this problem before today, even when I've had to reboot in the past. NOTHING has changed, except now I can't use the airport express.

By the way, I'm using it to stream music, and so checked the appropriate boxes during the setup process.

Thanks,
Rob

Sorry that this isn't a solution to your problem, but I wanted to say that I'm having the same exact issue.

My airport express worked fine until I moved to a new house and had to setup my wireless network again. I'm using WPA2, so all the fixes pertaining to the WEP bit length don't really apply.

I can perform a hard reset and the Airport will be visible on my network to perform setup procedures, but once I get to the end of setup I receive the same error message saying that the device was updated but could not be found. Similarly, I'm setting it up to join an existing network (on my Airport Extreme Basestation) and only really need it for Airtunes (e.g. not setting it up to extend my current network).

What's the deal? I find forum posts all over the web about this issue but no solutions...

First, reset the AEX to factory defaults, even tho Airport Utility will warn you about this .... no password, no security. If your machine still can't find the network after a Restart ... download a utility that will, like AirRadar (shareware) that will join nearby networks. I find once a machine has found and joined the network, it will do so on its own again.

Sometimes it takes several AEX full resets to pick up the network again.

I'm slightly confused by your response...

By "factory defaults" do you mean performing a Hard Reset? After I perform the hard reset (hold down the reset button while plugging in the power until the fast blinking light) the AEX is detected just fine. The problem arises after I've performed the manual/automatic setup and it's waiting for the AEX to reset after updating it's settings.

Also, with regards to "no password, no security" do you mean to have me skip inputting the security settings in the AEX (e.g. the WPA2 password) or to remove my network security entirely? If this is a temporary measure I don't mind, but since I live in a high density area I won't be able to use an open network.

Thanks for the help!

Sorry, yes I meant setting back to Factory Defaults in Airport Utility, ignoring warnings. That includes having no security, temporarily. Uncheck Streaming and every other special option--you're trying to get as plain an install as possible.

Doing a hard reset on the AEX involves poking with paper clip for say 5 seconds before it's powered and continuing to hold down 5 more sec after it's plugged in. You know you've done a hard reset when your network loses its name, everything goes back to factory. Set your Network Preferences to Automatic, and Restart.

Then, if you connect, give it a while to connect and reconnect before you add back in--one at a time--the Airport features you want. Also, perform all this in very close range to the AEX.

Finally got it to work! It was just as you said, had to get rid of WPA/WPA2 for the express to find the network. Once the airport express was connected properly I reinstated my password protection and my music is playing in the other room without a problem. It's only taken me about 3 years to finally sit down and figure this out... thanks again for your help!

Finally got it to work! It was just as you said, had to get rid of WPA/WPA2 for the express to find the network. Once the airport express was connected properly I reinstated my password protection and my music is playing in the other room without a problem. It's only taken me about 3 years to finally sit down and figure this out... thanks again for your help!

Hi -- I think I have the same problem. I have an Airport Express that is a few years old. I recently upgraded my router (the old one was 6 years old), and now I can't get the AE to communicate, exactly your symptoms. If I turn off encryption, all works fine, as you state. But how do I "reinstate my password protection" once the Airport Express is connected? It will become disconnected while my router reboots to change the encryption, and I am back to square one.

Thanks for more detailed explanation.

C

Back