Apple and Mpeg 4

That would be jolly nice!! More and more of videos are encoded in MPEG-4 on the PC side... Most of them can be read by the mac divx available but not all. It would be really cool to have Apple finally include support for MPEG-4!! :)

Just because QT 5.1 has MPEG-4 support doesn't mean it will open all divx files -- there are a BUNCH of different codecs, and I doubt that Apple will include all of them. I sure hope, though, that it helps with viewing some of them.

Yes, read the article, but from my understanding MPEG-4 is designed to have the codecs be compatible with each other. This way one person who encodes using MPEG-4 codec #X can be decoded by MPEG-4 codec #Y.

Of course DivX ;-) isn't MPEG-4, but rather a hack turned legit for a MS' codec they submitted as a demo along with their ASF format to the MPEG-4 board, which was rejected. MS' version of the codec is currently used as the WMV7 codec.

So, help kill the FUD, and spread the word that the REAL MPEG-4 is on its way, and will be just as good, if not better than DivX ;-) for distributing online video. It will be cross-platform too!

Hmmm, will it be able to actually ready DIVX??

Uhm... if I assume the question to actually be:

Hmmm, will it be able to actually read DIVX??

Then the answer is a very loud NO. The last couple of posts by me and Laurent LaSalle are supposed to clear up the FUD surrounding DivX ;-), MPEG-4 and QT6. DivX ;-) is not MPEG-4 compliant, and NEVER WAS. DivX ;-) is merely a hack, and a pretty poor one at that at times. To be honest, the world would be better off if the licensing issues got resolved with MPEG-4 and it was adopted as a truely standard, cross-platform online video format, and forced DivX ;-) into a niche for being the embrace/extend codec that it is.

there are, however, some plugins for qt5 that allow it to play DivX ;-), so even though it will most likely not be able to read it, there undoubtably will be plugins/hacks for qt6 that will allow it to be read

Well, the codec API for QT6 won't be any different AFAIK, so all your QT5 plugs will work with QT6 without even recompiling. After all, DivX Player was written for QT4 I believe, and it works just fine with QT5... MPEG-4 support will not break current 3rd party codecs.

Back