Apple and the horse it rode in on can....

Guzz2k

Registered
I really liked my iBook. Everything worked just like it was supposed to, no questions asked. But my new PowerBook is crap.

It refuses to recognize my external firewire HD until I unplug the HD and plug it back in again and likewise for my digital camera. Ninety percent of the time, it doesn't recognize any CD or DVD--audio, video, data, -R, -RW, whatever--I put in and I have to either log in and log out for it to register or restart the computer after getting mystery error messages. (Keep in mind, these are all the same peripheral devices that gave me no problem whatsoever on my iBook, so it can't be them.) And if that isn't enough, it can't find the all-Mac wireless network at work and therefore won't talk to the printer, though I can get on the internet and get my email.

I've brought my Powerbook to the Apple Store no less than five times over the past four months complaining of these problems and every time some guy tells me to do this and do that and I do and it's still the same old b.s. from them. I'm starting to think they're giving me the runaround because they don't want to file a warranty claim.

I'm fed up to the point that I'd chuck this p.o.s. for a PC if the industry I work in wasn't 100% Mac.

first thing - i bet you a million dollars the industry you work in is NOT 100% mac. i am sure you could work out a deal with your boss to turn in your powerbook for a pc, or mabye just an ibook, because then everything would work (wouldn't it...)

secondly - please either edit out the title of your post, because it just screams troll, and if you actually want someone to help you with your problem, looking like a troll is not a good way too look.

and third - if you have a firewire drive that you can access, backup your whole drive on it and then reinstall the whole os. while a drastic step, it restores everything to factory default and should do a good job fixing your problems.
what kind of powerbook is it? do you have jaguar, 10.1, 10.0 or os 9? if you genuinely want people to help you you need to give them this information because without it you can't get very specific about fixing your problem.
oh and please change your attitude in future posts or do chuck your pos powerbook over to minnesota, i will take, fix, and keep it. you can fall back into the pc world.

Sorry about that. I'm just going nuts with what's supposed to be a "true plug and play" computer and Apple Store people who talk a good game but either don't want to help or don't know how to.

In any case, I'm running 10.2.6 on a G4 and I've already done two system reinstalls; one total, another archived. I even created other user accounts to see if that'd help, but no such luck.

And yeah, Mr. K, advertising is only 99.999% Mac. The remaining .001% are the guys that come up with those screaming car sale ads.

Breathe... breathe... breathe...

I'm sorry about all the trouble you are having, it sounds like you maybe just have an iLemon, those do come along periodically, even with Apple :)
If I were you, I would go into the Apple store are ask for a replacement. Tell them you are fed up that things aren't working, and that you have already been in five times before, and none of their suggestions worked. If they refuse, then ask to talk to a Manager about it. If you make enough of a racket, then I bet they will replace it for you :)

Dlloyd is correct. After months of problems with an 8100/80 (internal nickname, "cold-fusion") I called Apple Suppt. on the phone. I demanded my money back. The offered me a free upgrade to an 8100/100 like a friend had at the time that worked great. They paid to ship in the new machine, and ship "Cold fusion" back to them. It can be done, but it takes persistance & lots of motivation. HTH.

Regards,

Albert

i had a friend who did that with an original iPod. Apple paid for everything. As long as you are still in warranty or it's an extreme enough case they should replace it for you...

I have had my iBook's power adaptor fail on me twice now, each time I called the AppleCare number (I bought AppleCare) and they have shipped me a replacement. They even sent a box with pre-paid shipping to send the broken one back to them!
The amazing thing is both times they shipped it overnight with Airborne Express!

Well, ok, I'll keep all of this in mind.

But I'm happy to report that I brought the computer to a local Apple repair shop today and they solved the problem. According to them, it was the system giving me problems (which I had figured since, like I said, all that stuff worked on my iBook) and they told me to reformat the HD. After backing up my stuff and doing just that, no problemo.

Guzz2k,

Next time, before you get really red in the face, come here and tell us your problem with all the facts, Os version, model of Mac, Ram, and the details of the problem. We will help you correct it and give you sound advice.

There is no need to vent anger until you have exhuasted all and I mean all avenues.

Now that your machine is fixed, you love it, don't you? :)

Just out of curiousity, before the last reinstall, did you format the drive in something other than HD+?

Back