Apple announces "Spoken Interface"

Randman

HA! HA! HA!
At the 19th annual Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference, which took place this week in Los Angeles, Apple announced "Spoken Interface," an upcoming Mac OS X feature that allows those with visual and learning disabilities to use a Mac through speech, audible cues and keyboard navigation.
"The spoken interface is a fully integrated, built-in enhancement of the Mac OS X Aqua user interface making it an additional and equal way of accessing the Macintosh," explains Apple. "It reads aloud the contents of documents like Web pages, Mail messages, and word processing files; provides a comprehensive audible description of your workspace and all the activities taking place on your computer; and includes a rich set of keyboard commands that allow you to navigate the Mac OS X interface and interact with application and system controls."*
Hmmm, isn't this one of the rumored features in 10.4?

well, some commands can already be done (and have been available for a while now) i am assuming that they intend to upgrade it (like we saw with 10.3)

I think many people around the web confuse this with spoken commands, which this isn't really about... It's about using the Mac with a keyboard only and let the computer read to you what's on screen. I'm not sooooo fascinated by this. And it'll probably work in English only for the next 12 years or so.

fryke said:
I'm not sooooo fascinated by this. And it'll probably work in English only for the next 12 years or so.

You are probably optimistic on this ;)

My bet is that after 20 years it will become available in French, German, Italian, Swedish and Japanese. And after 100 years if not more, maybe just maybe it will become available in Greek too :p

:D :)

The japanese will get it next because they give Americans video games, cars, anime, manga, and a place for the Apple Store to live. Plus they are kickin rad! :p
Than all the other countries will get a free copy of Mac OS 9 and screen reader software :D

i have been using the prerelease that they made available to people who took the survey. I dont like it at all. It requires several odd key combinations to do things with, and now when I move a file to a different folder, my system makes noise. Its not a bad noise, but I cant see where to turn it off, and the interface IS off.

See the attached pdf to see the new option to enable and disable the interface.

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    66.5 KB · Views: 29
I don't think many people realize this is a GREAT thing for people with visual disabilities who want to use a Mac!!! For many years there have been almost zero options for third party screen readers for Macs. All the developers of these types of apps have dropped Apple some time ago (out of economic necessity) and if you are blind or visually impaired, your only option is a PC with JAWS, WindowEyes or a few others. In addition, this will help Apple meet Section 508 and other accessibility laws for selling technology to the government.

If you think the keyboard combinations are difficult, try out the JAWS demo. JAWS users are required to memorize up to 250 JAWS specific keyboard commands + another few hundred for Windows, Word, Outlook, IE, Excel... where the organization of these shortcuts is an absolute mess. Of course you can get by with fewer keyboard shortcuts, but to do all things I do and most of us do, you need most of them. Either way, the demands on attention and memory (not to mention typing skills) far outweigh anything people with vision have to deal with in using a computer, but I'm betting the Macs more consistent and well thought out UI will end up being more consistent and therefore easier to use for people who are visually impaired - as long as Apple did this right.

If you *really* want to try Spoken Interface as it is intended, turn OFF your monitor then give it a shot. Then try the same thing with a Windows screen reader. Realize you probably can still imagine what is happening visually on the screen and this gives you a big advantage over its intended users.

P.S. I worked with people who are visually impaired and their accessibility software for three years. I think it is safe to say the average person thinks all this stuff works wonderfully and has basically solved everything, but that is far from the truth (Hollywood hasn't helped this point of view and most people I know who are disabled get a big kick out of movies where accessibility software is so powerful). The thing to realize is that making something accessible does not always = making it usable. Believe it or not, DOS and command line interfaces + screen reading gave people who are visually impaired nearly equal access to sighted people (almost level playing field in terms of memory demands). When the GUI came out, it made things far more complicated and far less "linear" for people with visual disabilities.

I once compiled a database of all the keyboard shortcuts for JAWS and all Miscrosoft office apps (including Windows, IE and Outlook) and did an analysis of all duplicates and inconsistencies among the nearly 1100 keyboard shortcuts. In addition, while in graduate school for Human Computer Interaction, I did a usability analysis of accessibility tools including screen readers (JAWS). Apple (and their 3rd party developers) led the world in accessibility back in the 80s and I am really happy to see them back in the game here. This area REALLY needs a fresh approach and I think Apple can show up the rest of them - mainly on the superiority of their underlying UI.

Here are some links:
http://www.section508.gov/

Screen Reader demos if you have a PC
http://www.gwmicro.com/demo/
http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_downloads/jaws_form.asp
http://www-306.ibm.com/able/solution_offerings/hpr.html

If you don't have a PC, (congratulations!) here is a web based screen reader simulation site (I have not tried it out):
http://www.webaim.org/simulations/screenreader

Though not a screen reader, Kurzweil 3000 is the coolest app ever made for people with reading disabilities. Kurzweil 1000 is a similar app for people who are visually disabled. Check the online demo to see some really well thought out and powerful technology:
http://www.kurzweiledu.com/k3000demo/

P.P.S. One more thing and I will get off my soap box :) - Accessibility is a valuable thing for everybody. When you evaluate a UI from the standpoint of someone who is disabled you really "shake it down" to core interaction design issues (for example, the jumbled mess of keyboard shortcuts in Windows) and, from my experience, this is where Windows bashing is fully justified - Windows underlying poor usability becomes even more apprent when you try to make it accessible. Making things accessible can lead to making things far more usable and versatile for every user.

its really just easier to complain about how useless this app is when you're not handicap or whine about it not being available in 27 different languages. :rolleyes: carry on!

theres a bug that I have found with it. When you turn it off, it stays off until you reboot, then its back on.

kendall said:
its really just easier to complain about how useless this app is when you're not handicap or whine about it not being available in 27 different languages. :rolleyes: carry on!

Maybe it will be useful to everyone when clock batteries die and your video is out! :) (does that still happen with newer Macs? - I never understood that one!)

Actually that little joke is related to an interesting thing is happening in accessibility. It has come to the point where the argument for making things accessible cannot always be carried by the weight of laws, marketing... so a new strategy is developing where designers are looking at what is called "situational disabilities" - situations were "able bodied" people need semi-accessible options. For example, we all need (or should need) to use our cell phones without looking at them (like while driving) or we have difficulty hearing things in a noisy environment. From this, many things are made to be more versatile for different situations and almost as a sneaky side benefit they end up being more accessible too. Think of how so many IM clients now offer speech on messages. For me it is a great thing when I am working - I just listen to the message and then decide to keep on working and not answer it unless it is worth dropping whatever it is I am doing!

Being a selfish ugly American pig, I never really thought about languages and synthesized speech! I mean, I know it can and has been available overall in different languages, but Macs have had speech since 1984 right? Was (or is) the Macs basic speech able to handle different languages well? How many? I'm curious and I think it is important.

Speaking of speech, here is a cool web site with the "History of speech synthesis" and audio clips of many successive generations: http://www.cs.indiana.edu/rhythmsp/ASA/partD.html

It is really improving. A few weeks ago we got a new Subaru with a weather band radio. I was listening to it just yesterday and realized after a few minutes that the "guy" talking on the radio was a computer! It almost fooled me and I have heard many many different speech synthesizers.

Back