Apple argues for blogger records

Actually, the "Asteroid" leak dates back to before January 2005's Macworld, I remember these rumours circulating at the time. Whether Apple ever had any intention of releasing such a product, or if it was only the interface standard that they had agreed on for use with GarageBand's then new multi-track recording, we may never know.

I see big problems with this! Arguably Apple could be liable for not keeping a good enough cover on its trade secrets. Leaks come directly from employees and/or a lack of common competency (eg: security, manufacturing), Apple must understand and measure that using manufacturers in poorer countries to save costs is a mesurable risk. And that security by those manufacturers may not be as secure as fully manufacturing all products by Apple themselves (which would be very costly). As a result Apple would have to put tougher penalties on it's employees/manufacturing agreements through expensive longterm security measures.

On top of that the internet is a form of freedom of speach/communication and human rights may get heavily involved if there was no trace of any source. and then the question remains: There are so many people that create mock up/rumor Apple gadgets that the chance of a coincidental or guess product based on Apple's release history could be created? could it not?

As for Asteroid, Apple I hope has found the source of the leak and delt with it accordingly.

Apple would rather make it illegal to print/post the insider information (which is usually taken with a pinch of salt by most,) in order to avoid actually dealing with their own internal security and auditing procedures?
Smacks of M$/RIAA/et al tactics.
Well done Apple, way to prove that you're NOT different, just a different brand of corporate bully. :(

It's a difficult path for Apple. But I don't underestimate them. I'm pretty sure they did _not_ just attack the bloggers but rather spent _more_ time and energy to stop the leaks. The problem with stopping leaks, I personally guess, is that far-away manufacturers might not see the problem the same way. After all, "it's merely consumer products" that "need to be sold in as large quantities as possible". Apple's in a very special situation here. No other computer maker has to endure such a pressure from rumour-sites. Of course, no other computer maker also has the _positive_ effects of same pressure.

jh2112 said:
Apple would rather make it illegal to print/post the insider information (which is usually taken with a pinch of salt by most,) in order to avoid actually dealing with their own internal security and auditing procedures?
Smacks of M$/RIAA/et al tactics.
Well done Apple, way to prove that you're NOT different, just a different brand of corporate bully. :(
Oh, bull. Apple may not know who leaked the documents, but it does know who received them. If the company has the right to pursue the leakers, it has the right to search where the light is brightest. IIRC, these recipients solicited leaked documents. This makes them parties to violations of Apple's contracts. They are not being sued, but they are being subpoenaed to produce evidence in their possession. The appeals court asked pointed questions of Apple, but I believe it will uphold the lower court's ruling in favor of our favorite fruit company.

Back