Apple changes homepage....

Status
Not open for further replies.
huh? Because the 'PowerMacs' have been offensive supercomputers and the PowerBooks are not?

wow, they dont even have a link to the new powermacs. they must be getting new graphics ready.

Only one shuttle image left on the Apple Store page.

It's a sad day we will all remember.

New images are up now... no more shuttle pix...

The removal of visual material that may be deemed inappropriate after catastrophes as this one... is that something other big companies do... or is this just Apple (or merely the webmaster at Apple) being very thoughtful?

It is very typical of any company. The thing is, if they leave it up, it could be deemed that they are "taking advantage" of the situation. Even before this post, I went to Apple's site to see if the shuttle images where still in place. I commend Apple for taking such quick action (even on a Saturday) to remove the images out of respect.

Although one might think that you put up the images to offer respect, by the contrary is the factor during the time after a incident.

The same goes for the WTC. It is still a "sore" spot for American's and I believe that any company who uses those images to promote something, would feel negative pressure to stop.

To answer your question, any respectful company, not just Apple would take these steps.

Ironically, the images may have been put on their in memory of the first incident... a contrast to how you remember things in the past vs current. As the original Shuttle accident was Jan 28, 1986.

Scott

The images of the space shuttle were on the international sites too. but it seems that they took em down too

The original images can be accessed via Google. Search for "Apple", and click on "cached" under the Apple listing.

Uh.. huh? Did i miss something here? Apple had an image of a display with a space shuttle as the desktop picture, yes? How is this offensive? have i missed some US-only news-headline?

Pengu

I hope nobody gets this the wrong way, because I very much am the same way, but I often wonder about it, wonder why it IS like this, and this day has reminded me of it...

Please don't forget that after all it was only SEVEN people who died and that they were well aware of the risks of space travel. Every time a plane goes down more people die. And they are assured that less people die in flight-accidents than car-accidents. And just some months ago, thousands of people died in Afghanistan when the US took revenge for 9-11. Please let's not who started this first, let's just add that also thousands of people died on 9-11. My point is that every time something like today happens, I go through 3 phases very, very fast:

1) I'm shocked. And I feel sad for the astronauts and sad for their families (not their countries, though, as countries shouldn't be cared about that much in my opinion).

2) I watch TV. For hours. And start to notice that for hours and hours people repeat the same things over and over again without adding anything new. Three hours after the incident, CNN was still repeating the six seconds of video they had. So I wake up from the shock...

3) I start to hear people who have no relation whatsoever to the people that were on the spacecraft to make statements like the following: "The hearts of the American people are bonded together in sorrow. This is a terrible loss to our country." And they have tears in their eyes. And I feel angry about those bystanders. I can't help it.

Okay, I've said it.

Now, after I've said it... I was born in 1974, and I was raised with sci-fi dreams. I watched every Space Shuttle launch through my child and teenage years. And this day brought back the shock I was in when Challenger exploded in 1986 with double impact. And I'm still sad. Sad for the astronauts. Sad about the fact that space travel isn't where it was promised to me in the sci-fi of my childhood. But I'll move on tomorrow.

And let's not forget that bigger doom looms over the world.

Let's hope for peace instead of war.

May I add that this paranoid feeling that it was a terrorist attack/sabotage that caused the crash was completely stupid. When I connected to CNN and to the Washington Post this morning, both were talking of a possible Palestinian attack over the shuttle.

Pure nonsense... I and some other guys all connected to the same Carracho server at 3:00 PM EST and exchanged some newspaper headlines from our respective countries. There were some Swedish, Norwegian, French, Italian, English, American and Spanish people on the server. Only the American ones found the word 'terrorist' in the articles about the shuttle crash.

At least those 7 people die without the UN's consentment...

Israel was looking forward to being proud, that they had the first Israeli Astronaut in space...

They found so many mishaps during launch, that the control room overlooked, and told them it was O.K. The heat shield was blasted and fell off and hit the wing at launch, but nobody said a word.

Originally posted by fryke
3) I start to hear people who have no relation whatsoever to the people that were on the spacecraft to make statements like the following: "The hearts of the American people are bonded together in sorrow. This is a terrible loss to our country." And they have tears in their eyes. And I feel angry about those bystanders. I can't help it.

17,448 people died from drunk driving accidents in the year 2001 (http://www.aamva.org/news/nwsLaborDay1OfMostDeadliestDrunkDrivingDays.asp), and in all likelihood more died last year and even more will die this year. That's over 47 people per day, many of whose deaths were as innocent and tragic as these deaths are today. It is also tragic that we are not able to mourn those deaths and many others as we do these today. Members of communities and the friends of those who die each day in so many different ways learn of their losses together and grieve together. The 'community' that these astronauts represented was the entire nation of the United States of America and that of Israel. Every citizen of those nations needs to be informed when almost all of those individuals representing their country in space are lost in an accident such as this. When a nation learns of a loss like this one together they, unless they are cold-blooded killers and psychopaths, grieve together and as a result grow closer to each other. There is no dishonesty, pretence or deception in that.

The sheer number of deaths involved, however, is entirely irrelevant. Even if we lost 470,000 people per day to drunk driving, or if we lived in the Jewish concentration camps of the Nazi regime, under the Reign of Terror in Stalin's regime, or in the Cambodia Killing Fields under the Khmer Rouge, no situation, no number of deaths, no matter how horrible, anywhere, gives anyone the right to disregard or devalue the tragedy that is the loss of human life. It especially does not give anyone the right to challenge or criticize the sincerity or emotions of any other person. Even if one were to have overwhelming proof (which no one has cared to present in this matter so far as I can see) of someone else's insincerity, whether this would be the appropriate time to express such is inconsiderate and inexcuseable.

"hope for peace instead of war"
By that you mean either "hope for peace instead of hoping for war" or you mean "hope that we have peace instead of having war." Either one is naive, selfish, heartless, foolish and deadly. "Hope for peace instead of hoping for war"? No sane person hopes for war, and please do not be so brash as to suggest that any leader of the United States, Britain, Russia, or any sane person whatsoever does. Not for fame, not for profit, not from ignorance. They don't. "Hope to have peace instead of having war"? Millions of Jews did not hope for peace instead of war, they hoped for peace through war. For six million Jews and millions of others, the Allies' decisions to go to war came too late. It is not wrong to hope that peace may be acheived through means other than war. It is wrong to suggest that war precludes peace.

Meaningful peace is not the absence of war. Could watching members of your family die as you stood by doing nothing be called peace simply because you are not fighting? Would you not have a truer peace in stopping the attacker, by his death if that were necessary, even if it meant perishing yourself in the process?

Please do not make a mockery of that which is most universally sacred amongst all of the members of this human race -- life -- by devaluing the loss of any number of persons and especially not by critiquing or challenging the sincerity of the tears shed on their behalf. That is was makes me angry.

There, I've said it.

Originally posted by toast
May I add that this paranoid feeling that it was a terrorist attack/sabotage that caused the crash was completely stupid. When I connected to CNN and to the Washington Post this morning, both were talking of a possible Palestinian attack over the shuttle.

Pure nonsense... I and some other guys all connected to the same Carracho server at 3:00 PM EST and exchanged some newspaper headlines from our respective countries. There were some Swedish, Norwegian, French, Italian, English, American and Spanish people on the server. Only the American ones found the word 'terrorist' in the articles about the shuttle crash.

At least those 7 people die without the UN's consentment...

You can call it stupid if you want, I wouldn't. While now it is obviously not a terrorist attack, it would not have been stupid to assume it was. Im sure many terrorists, especially Palestinian terrorists would have LOVED the oppurtunity to blow up the Space Shuttle. It is a symbol of American pride, and with the first Israeli astronaut on board it would have been a perfect target for them to attack. Obviously we did not know all the facts until later in the day, but when people think of space disasters, they don't think of them happening on re-entry, at least until now. With the war we are fighting on terrorism, Sept. 11th, the first Israeli astronaut, the fact that terrorists have shoulder mounted missles and the Space Shuttle exploding on re-entry all mixed together, I believe not thinking of terrorism is "stupid" if you want to call it that. Obviously we know it isn't terrorism now, but you can't blame people, especially Americans for thinking it was at first.

This thread will certainly move soon.

jeb1138, you should read fryke's post again, I think you missed the point. fryke has not devaluated anyone, he's making a parallel between two actual events. He mentions a disproportion between the number of lives in this shuttle and in Iraq, and the sadness and grief which apply to them. That's all. Plus:

For six million Jews and millions of others, the Allies' decisions to go to war came too late.
The Allies were already all at war when Hitler invaded Sudetenland. They were all, except the US, for reasons that were taught to you in class (I hope and think so). If you need more precise explanations, tell me. But as this does not fit the thread and forum topic, I'll keep silent.

mightyjlr, you are very right: many terrorists (not only Palestinian ones) would have liked to blow up the shuttle.
But:

1) 99% Palestinian terrorists don't know ANYTHING about the Columbia shuttle and the first Israeli astronaut ! Most Palestinian terrorists don't watch NASA TV, don't read the Web, don't give a damn about what's happening in the US as their own 'country' is already enough to matter about.

2) The shuttle "would have been a perfect target for them" but I don't know any stone thrower who can shoot so high ! Hey, people, who knows a rocket launcher that can hit a shuttle at Mach 18 (20.113km/h) ? I wanna buy one ! :D
More seriously, do you know the power of Palestinian terrorists ? How can you imagine a second they could infiltrate the NASA and proceed to some sabotage, while most of them don't even have enough explosive to organize their suicide expeditions !

3) "When people think of space disasters, they don't think of them happening on re-entry" : oh YES they do ! According to Frenchmen Jean-François Clairevoy, astronaut at the European Spatial Agency, the Columbia shuttle is extremely hard to manoeuver, esp. at re-entry. The shuttle knows an inclination angle of 40°, its 44 reactors can reach 1645°C, the whole shuttle needs perfect control. [EDIT] I've added a French link at the bottom of my post.

4) Plus, as I said, only the US stated it was a terrorist attack. As I said, and I have checked many sources, all other foreign news centrals did NOT stated aything about a terrorist suspicion. Do you know why ? Because the NASA first communicated the shuttle accident information to the Associated Press, which did not mention any terrorist theory in their communiqué. This terrorist paranoia was created by CNN and other US media journalists.

5) Last but not least, I must tell you "shoulder mounted missiles" are absolutely unable to fire a space shuttle at re-entry, that's science-fiction. You are confusing shoulder mounted missiles with ICBMs and IRBMs IMHO :).

Eventually, don't miss my word: I don't blame the few Americans who thought it could be a terrorist attack. I just find it a stupid, paranoid feeling. I don't say they don't have the right to feel like that or anything of this kind. I am not willing to offend anyone.

I'm just finding it idiotic, limited, mentally restrained, excentric, irrealistically confused, psychologically weak and on the top of that dangerously psychotic, aggressive and paranoid to associate a space accident with terrorism. As far as I know, one is 18 km over the other one.

French link about the difficulties of re-entry with Columbia shuttle:
http://www.radiofrance.fr/reportage/report_jour/bonus.php?bonus_id=45301828&article_id=45280577

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back