Apple Cinema Display meets PC

siggman

Registered
The new 20" Cinema Display got the perfect size. I want it for a PC. Can you tell me, if there's a possibility. I know, the 15", 17" and the 22" work with 'drbott.com' dviator.

What about apple's own dvi to adc display adapter?

Apple's adapter works for the 20". They don't guarantee that it will work for PC's with DVI ports. I tried to hook a 23" up to a PC with WinXP and a DVI port once and it didn't work. Many people have had success, however.

Do you live near any Mac computer store? I bet if you told them you wanted to by a 20" Cinema display they'd let you bring in your PC and try it out. I mean, it is a $1000+ item, I'm sure they'd want to try to sell it. :) If you don't, perhaps you can find someone with a similar setup to yours. What kind of DVI video card do you have in your PC and what operating system are you running?

> I've got a 'vga' card, that's why I need a new one, so i'm open for all kinds of cards.
>Running XP.

Anyway, the main problem is, that I can't find it anywhere with the 20" Display. Again, drbott.com ' s 'dviator' shows a solution for the 15", 17" and 22" Displays. 20" and 23" are not supported. That's my problem, I want the 20" one.

Nice idea with the shop, but... there is no shop.

Originally posted by TommyWillB
Stupid question... Can't you put the same video card from a Mac into a PC?

Nope, PC motherboards don't have the ADC slot (infront of the AGP slot) for the video card to plug into.

It is indeed possible to do this, I've got one working in front of me right now. I have machine running Windows XP with an ATI RADEON9000 graphics card in it. I have a CompuCable DVI-to-ADC adapter plugged into it and then the 20" Cinema display plugged into the adapter.

it took about 3 reboots to get everything to figure out the hardware configuration and now it is working great.

please donsullivan tell me everything about your configuration. PCI or AGP card? What resolution? ....

It's an AGP 4 card connected to the DVI interface on the card. That particular card has both DVI and VGA interface, both of which can be used simultaneously. Its in a system with an Athlon 2200+ processor. I'm running Windows XP Pro with all of the latest updates available on the graphics card and Microsoft.

The system is running at the native resolution of the display at 1680 x 1050.

Once the USB connections are made properly It even knew that it was an Apple Cinema Display and works great.

I'm working now to achieve my ultimate goal which is to get this working via a VGA interface and run it through a KVM switch. I currently have one of the older 22" Cinema display with an ADC KVM switch connecting my two Mac's together. I'm looking to connect the new 20" to a 4 port KVM switch so that I can switch it back and forth across both the Mac's & PC. That way I can have a dual Cinema layout for Video editing projects.

Tommy: Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking them.

To crowfreak,

It's the 128k version of the card.

In fact I just did a mother board and processor upgrade (2500+) to the machine and now have it connecting through a GEFEN ADC switch box which allows me to share my 2nd Cinema Display between primary on the XP box and secondary on my video Editing Mac.

As before, it's working great.

Back