apple.com to be redesigned?

mr. k

Registered
Big News! It looks like apple has been stealthily arranging for two of the biggest web designers on the scene to redesign apple.com!
Jeffrey Zeldman has been on the web scene forever, one of the first web designers to leave table hacks and font tags behind for the simple, powerful markup that is xhtml and css (and also a devout machead) and Douglas Bowman, a print designer turned standards evangelizing web designer (whose site is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen), two of the biggest players in the web development game, have both hinted (well, not really) that they will be working together to redesign our favorite computer companies web site. For their announcements see here and here .
This is big news! I've complained about apple's beautiful-on-the-outside uglier-then-hell-in-the-inside site for a little while now, and boom! Now I just can't wait to see what comes of this!
This news got me a million times more exciting then new powerbooks, or even that 30" Cinema display I keep talking about (by the way, I got a 27" TV today, and a friggin 30" LCD would be SO FRIGGIN BIG!).
I would definitely recommend stopping by both their sites (see above links), and maybe it's just me, but stopdesign is probably my favorite site on the internet.

edit: and check this - confessions of a designer. Poor guy...

You know i think it would be great if they somehow incorperated the dock features into apple.com or emphasized the design on each new release of os x.

After all it could be used as another method to promote the os x operating system.

Imagin if a windows visitor who has been contemplating a switch could gain usability experience through apple.com and then caPOW a new mac user.

Thinking different.

Originally posted by MikeXpop
oh please god no brushed metal apple.com!

Aye, if Apple becomes any more grey and drab I'll have to start adjusting the color on my monitor to pinks, purples, blues, reds, etc... And spraypaint the case of my system...

Dam..they can pay me 1/2 as much to design the site and I will still be rich. Give the job to me apple!!!

I wouldn't expect an outlandish design involving fancy graphics, these guys are solid logical designers from an information design slant. So I would expect their design for Apple to be very clean, logical and easy to use, with all the standards needed for speed and accessibility.

Funnily enough, I've always found legibility problems with their own sites, but hey, I'm never happy. ;)

UPDATE:

Just read the part that they may not necessarily be redesigning the aesthetics... simply bringing the code/structure into line with standards and latest coding.

Ah, the simplicity of NetAqua with the power of web standards... I just hope they don't use ASP!

Yeah, I'm sure WebObjects would be more in-line... But I bet they will be doing some kind of visual redesign, some things at apple.com haven't changed for four or five years... That's way too old. Like someone said earlier it would be awesome if the site got pantherized.

zeldman and co have been very involved with the web standards project for many years so i reckon they will concentrate on making the apple site more xml complient

But then they can really design too - Bowman can really create vivid and interesting pages, but he keeps them simple and accessible.

Back