Apple could sell unlocked itunes phone

mi5moav

Registered
Apple could very easily release an itunes phone for about $399 unlocked to use with any carrier...just put in your SIM card. After showing the networks how well the phone sells the next version they make will probably be picked up and have the regular discounts the others have. (if anyone says who is going to buy a phone for 400 bucks...I say who the heck is going to buy an MP3 player for 400 bucks??)

I think Apple said we don't want itunes in the ROKER E2 it wasn't Moto's decision

In fact I wouldn't doubt if Apple released 2 or 3 Apple phones in the next few months 2 with itunes and one with out.

I for sure would rather pay $400 bucks for a new phone than having to sign up for a contract for 2 more years, and save $200 bucks.

I don't know why this iPhone speculation keeps turning up year after year. I'm sure we were discussing the same thing in 2000 - Apple are not going to release a phone. The market is too segmented and it would be impossible to support most users. The current cellphone makers have good deals with the telcos in all major markets and are thus able to sell locked phones at a fraction of the production cost.

I don't see it happening.

While I agree that apple may not or want to sell a phone device, eventually they may have to in order to grasp onto every aspect and reason for a user to use iTunes and apple products. Eventually phones are going to get very, very good. storage in phones will soon be able to handle 20 to 30 GIG of space.

The W800i by sony is getting really close now but is still missing a simple headphone socket (in the actual phone). the use and combination of gadgets are built in very well.

Can Apple in the near future afford to not be in the mobile phone market? If this market has the "potential" to do some serious catching up to iTunes/iPod then it would be a wise idea to have somthing at least there wouldn't it?

I think Apple does have somthing ready. But its all timing, and precautional measures for apple now. just a matter if its necassary for the moment and market.

it's obvious the 'all-in-one' device that needs to happen, that will happen, is going to be based around a phone, with a high-end compact camera capabilities, and space to store and play all your music.

at the moment, apple only do the music thing, but they do do it the best.

Apple do it the best because their solution is so simple. To put an MP3 player into an MFD would complicate things.

Apple needs to take a long, hard look at the w800i, which has both a fantastic and very usable UI and a beautiful case / screen design. With a removable memory card, the storage can be upgraded as technology allows. As Quicksilver said, the only major design flaw is the lack of 1/8" headphone output directly from the phone. (But when you stick on that adaptor, it becomes the FM antenna as well!)

My question is still, Will people eventually get used to bigger phones, or smaller keys? Because something's going to have to happen. It's not convenient to type a substantial message with T9, but neither is it comfortable to carry a large brick in your pocket.

Yeah, Apple's *never* going to do an iPhone. There's NO way. Just like videos on an iPod. The screen'd be just too small. There's no way...

I think Apple may have pulled another Xerox here. They worked with this phone at Moto with Moto for over a year, and then in 3 months itunes is pulled from the moto lineup. Yes, we have heard itunes is on some of the other phones like SLVR and the new RAZR but are they pushing it not at all.

Steve is still still upset about moto screwing them over and basically walked in there with his boys and started figuring out how things work around a cell phone manufacturing company... they said nice but we can take this to the next level like the mac in 84. I hate most phones today, I can't type on them they feel uncomfortable when I'm talking on them, the interfaces suck, and they all look the same like a cheap buick with 50 pieces of crappy plastic chrome stuck on them.

I can imagine 3 great phones from Apple

one very simple, maybe not even an lcd just LED diodes creaiting the display like some of sony's mp3 players, very sleek, similar in shape and look to a wireless apple mouse (hold one up to your ear, so comfortable)

an itunes phone a little hipper a little crazier looking

an ichat phone with built in isight it's coming soon

Of course, now that I think about it, Apple co-founder and former board member Steve Wozniak has put out a mobile phone based product a few years back (remember the Hiptop aka Sidekick?). It wasn't a great hit, but for the time it was actually a really cool device. I suspect what really hurt its sales was existing phone makers under-selling their handsets at below cost as part of their agreements with telcos, and telcos refusing to offer the required services (WAP, GPRS, etc) at a price any sane person would want to pay.

And then, there was the Motorola deal which brought us iTunes on the ROKR. This also was something that Apple would rather forget. The phone started out promising, but the RIAA, the Telcos, Motorola and Apple could not agree on what the product should be, so we ended up with a phone with pitiful storage and a hard-coded limit of 100 songs.

While I know Apple will be watching this frontier closely, I don't see them getting involved in phones again any time soon. Its taken every bit of legal nouse and negotiation just to get video on the iPod, and if you add in the telcos that want to make money off ringtones, the RIAA and MPAA, then you have a nightmare scenario.

Its not technology thats holding us back at the moment, its lawyers.

symphonix said:
Of course, now that I think about it, Apple co-founder and former board member Steve Wozniak has put out a mobile phone based product a few years back (remember the Hiptop aka Sidekick?). It wasn't a great hit, but for the time it was actually a really cool device. I suspect what really hurt its sales was existing phone makers under-selling their handsets at below cost as part of their agreements with telcos, and telcos refusing to offer the required services (WAP, GPRS, etc) at a price any sane person would want to pay.
The hiptop is one cool device!
I would love to have one but it has several shortcomings
1. Data only works if the provider has a Danger server backend to serve compressed pages - if you unlock it you cannot use it, except as a phone, in a different carrier
2. No removable media
3. Apps not openly available - only downloadble over the network. No download/installation over PC/Mac available
4. POOR mac support
5. Poor sync support

If these were not issues, and more devices came out it would have been more of a success.

And then, there was the Motorola deal which brought us iTunes on the ROKR. This also was something that Apple would rather forget. The phone started out promising, but the RIAA, the Telcos, Motorola and Apple could not agree on what the product should be, so we ended up with a phone with pitiful storage and a hard-coded limit of 100 songs.
I agree that the telcos and the gang have killed the phone BUT
100 songs are OK. Battery life of a phone considering talk time, SMS, web-browsing and music listening take a toll on the battery. I have 2000 songs on my 20GB iPod. I am under the storage limit - and on top of that I only listen to about 100-150 songs in my commute everyday. If you want to mix it up you can have a randomizer and sync with your mac daily to get different/varied songs.

While I know Apple will be watching this frontier closely, I don't see them getting involved in phones again any time soon. Its taken every bit of legal nouse and negotiation just to get video on the iPod, and if you add in the telcos that want to make money off ringtones, the RIAA and MPAA, then you have a nightmare scenario.

Its not technology thats holding us back at the moment, its lawyers.

Telcos can make money off the data required to download tunes.
Apple and moto COULD have integrated the store in the phone so that they could sell music OTA using the telco's network - some telcos are greedy though and want BOTH data usage revenue and song revenue - can't have it both ways.

I would say apple could dip back in - but maybe not that soon.

Hello,

If the latest 'Razor" was enabled for I-Tunes I would definetly purchase the product . And if it was a thin as the Nano , Wow .

LarryD

If AMPD mobile can create their own phones and wireless network(piggy backing of of verizon) Apple surely could do this... Though if they don't do it tomorrow they will never do it. I'm really hoping for big new of a purchase or major partnership of some company.

Back