Apple CPUs falling below Intel in power

I am using tomcat for dynamic content, apache for static. IIS is a non starter for me. You guys make valid points re desktop and laptop. But I was also comparing the powerbook to a FOUR year old Dell laptop. I have a perfectly fine, stable, rock solid Windows desktop platform which I am happy with. I just thought it interesting that in my experience, my G4 powerbook is on par speed-wize with a four year old Dell P3 laptop. If you guys are fine with that situation, then that's OK. I personally expect a bit more from Apple/Motorola in this area.

Originally posted by dflett
I personally expect a bit more from Apple/Motorola in this area.

We all do! :D We are not just in a hurry ;)

This fall isn't that far from now, is it? :rolleyes:

;) :D

How do your Dull and Peanut Butter compare in other kinds of situations, like rendering graphic effects?

Originally posted by dflett
I am using tomcat for dynamic content, apache for static. IIS is a non starter for me. You guys make valid points re desktop and laptop. But I was also comparing the powerbook to a FOUR year old Dell laptop. I have a perfectly fine, stable, rock solid Windows desktop platform which I am happy with. I just thought it interesting that in my experience, my G4 powerbook is on par speed-wize with a four year old Dell P3 laptop. If you guys are fine with that situation, then that's OK. I personally expect a bit more from Apple/Motorola in this area.

My bad, for some reason I totally missed the fact that the PIII was a laptop and not a desktop.
I keep mentioning the software and the reason I do is that I would bet money on the fact that the reason why the PIII can beat the G4 is that the implementations of Apache or Tomcat just aren't written very well with regards to OSX. So what you are really seeing is a software issue, not so much a hardware one. I haven't used Tomcat in about 2 years or so, but when I did I did see that it was a lot slower running on Solaris than on Win2K (the two platforms we were developing for), and this is taking into account hardware differences.

This poor horse is all pulp....Who's been beating it again? :)

I could care less how Apple's processor speeds compare to Intel and AMD's...When I saw the title of this tread, I said...here we go again. I would venture a guess that this has been posted 20 times, if it's been posted once. ;)

Originally posted by binaryDigit
the implementations of Apache or Tomcat just aren't written very well with regards to OSX
Its now off-topic so I'll keep it short. Tomcat is a pure Java app so unless you know something about Apple's 1.4.1 JVM performance I don't really understand your comment since its the same bytecode running on both machines. The test only used Tomcat, not Apache. We use Tomcat 4.x (complete rewrite 6 months ago).

Back on topic... I guess you guys must have seen this thread a million times, but I am new Mac user and have only recently compared the platforms to others. Sorry for going over old ground.

In other words, he just ran across the horse's carcass and had to give it a kick of his own.

Back