Apple Customer Service - WOW

Shotokan

Registered
So I was in Sam's club today, getting stuff for work, and my cell phone rings. Didn't recognize the number. I answered and low and behold, it's an Apple Customer Service Rep asking how my G5 was working out. Caught me completely off guard! Now granted, he said that my service warranty was getting ready to expire and that I should check out extended Apple Care, but not in a pressuring way at ALL. He said to go the website and read about it. He didn't try to pitch it all and he was really rather conversational. A pleasant call indeed. When I hung up I told my GF that it was Apple wondering how my G5 was and she even commented that no other computer company would do that without giving a hard sales pitch.

Just another reason I love apple.

Anyone else have any good stories about Apple Customer Service?

Shotokan said:
So I was in Sam's club today, getting stuff for work, and my cell phone rings. Didn't recognize the number. I answered and low and behold, it's an Apple Customer Service Rep asking how my G5 was working out. Caught me completely off guard! Now granted, he said that my service warranty was getting ready to expire and that I should check out extended Apple Care, but not in a pressuring way at ALL. He said to go the website and read about it. He didn't try to pitch it all and he was really rather conversational. A pleasant call indeed. When I hung up I told my GF that it was Apple wondering how my G5 was and she even commented that no other computer company would do that without giving a hard sales pitch.

Just another reason I love apple.

Anyone else have any good stories about Apple Customer Service?

I was studying abroad with a powerbook and my power cord stopped working (it was already frayed). So i was stuck with a dead powerbook battery, but i remembered i had applecare. I called up apple about noon the day after i realized my power cord wasn't working. They said they wouuld have a new one shipped immediately, and they did. i received the new power cord the next day before noon.

dlloyd said:
MBHockey, that's happened to me three times now :)

i guess AppleCare is REALLY paying off for you!

Side Note: Will AppleCare replace my TiBook screen due to some minor scratches? (i know this is a shot in the dark!)

Dunno, you could try :)
First and second times, the thing did something internally, and wouldn't work. Third time, one of my sisters accidentally caught the cord and partially disconnected the iBook plug end from the cord. It stilled worked for awhile, but then it stopped. I didn't tell them that though :D.
All three times, I had the replacment within about 12 hours. VERY impressive.

Two weeks before my Powerbook G3 warranty was about to expire. The logic board and Hard Drive died. Apple repaired it and returned it promptly. Second, my 17' LCD had dead pixels, they also fixed that without question.

I'm almost looking forward to dealing with Apple Cust Svc when I bring them my 17" pb with the bright spots in the screen. just hope they can fix the problem promptly.

thanks for the encouraging stories!

Powermac, how many dead pixels were there? I'm curious because it would be good to know what Apple are prepared to fix. You seen when you buy a flatscreen from say, Samsung or similar, they have a 'number-of-dead-pixels' policy type thing, apparently if you get one and theres 3 or 4 dead pixels on it straight out of the box, theres no guarantee they'll replace it.
I don't know exactly why, maybe damage can occur too easily during shipping, or dead pixels are so common that there have to be a lot before the screen is unusable, but this is what my guy at dell tells me anyway. would be interested to hear how bad your was....

MBHockey said:
i guess AppleCare is REALLY paying off for you!

Side Note: Will AppleCare replace my TiBook screen due to some minor scratches? (i know this is a shot in the dark!)

I believe there's two kinds of AppleCare options for the PowerBook (w/ display and w/o display). It's weird - they cost the same so why would someone not get the w/ display option?

Shotokan

If you don't think that was a sales pitch, Confucius say, You're easily fooled :)

Apple is just more polite than other companies, and honey usually gets the bees.

From my expierence with Apple over the years, they have very good support.

I guess I'll be the spoiler in the group. I bought Apple Care with my DP G4 (in store) 2 1/2 years ago. They told me when I bought it that my Apple Care warranty would automatically be registered.

Sure enough, a year later, my CPU got fried because the stupid video card was clipping the case upon opening the side door. Eventually a capacitor got knocked off and fried it all.

In short, turns out my warranty had NOT been registered, so I spent two weeks doing the run around game sending faxes of receipts, etc. And to top if off, I had to take it to a store myself and was additionally chastised by them because I had tried to resolve the problem myself (by testing other video cards).

However, in the end, that $250 investment saved me $500 in repairs. However, that only means I saved $250, which I would gladly have paid to have avoided the heaches and time lost driving to and from the store. So, for me in this one particular case, it did not go well.

MacMuppet said:
Powermac, how many dead pixels were there? I'm curious because it would be good to know what Apple are prepared to fix. You seen when you buy a flatscreen from say, Samsung or similar, they have a 'number-of-dead-pixels' policy type thing, apparently if you get one and theres 3 or 4 dead pixels on it straight out of the box, theres no guarantee they'll replace it.
I don't know exactly why, maybe damage can occur too easily during shipping, or dead pixels are so common that there have to be a lot before the screen is unusable, but this is what my guy at dell tells me anyway. would be interested to hear how bad your was....

They said more than four, especially in one spot, they would consider repairing, and they did.

bobw said:
Shotokan

If you don't think that was a sales pitch, Confucius say, You're easily fooled :)

Apple is just more polite than other companies, and honey usually gets the bees.

From my expierence with Apple over the years, they have very good support.

Of course it was a sales pitch, as I stated. I said he didn't try to pitch it ALL to me, like rambling off a bunch of stuff like most sales people do. It was the most pleasent sales pitch I have ever received.

drustar said:
I believe there's two kinds of AppleCare options for the PowerBook (w/ display and w/o display). It's weird - they cost the same so why would someone not get the w/ display option?

it would be for external displays, not the PBs physical display. ive seen the option for PMs but not PBs.

I dunno, never had AppleCare and probably never will. Comes from the time when I sold my PowerBooks before the warranty was over (and bought a new one instead). I get my repairs done in warranty time now (1 year here) and try not to drop my 'books on the floor.

Back