Apple drops BTO Mac mini prices

Alex

Registered
Apple drops BTO Mac mini prices - from MacMinute
January 25 - 12:58 EST** Apple has quietly cut prices on build-to-order (BTO) components for its new Mac mini. The company is now offering the Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme wireless option for US$99 (was $129), the 1GB DDR333 SDRAM upgrade for $325 (was $475), and the 80GB ultra ATA hard drive upgrade for $50 (was $80). Apple is also now listing an 8x SuperDrive option instead of the previous 4x model for the same $100 cost.

Well seems like Apple was listening. Still $325 is WAY too much for ram, I suggest NewEgg.com. The one bonus I see in this is the upgrade from a 4x SuperDrive to the 8x... that option has me wondering if i want to BTO mine or just go pick it up in the store.

chadwick said:
Too bad for everyone who got one last week, eh? :p

Yeah that would suck. But at least they changed it for the better. Too bad $325 (which actually is in addition to whatever they feel the 256 MB stick is worth) is still overpriced.

Even if it wasn't under warrenty, I wonder how Apple could tell if you were messing around with it? Unless they have a "warrenty void if removed" sticker slapped on there. Even then...

My order is still in the system, due to be shipped on or before the 28th. I was happy to see that the order price had dropped this morning, to match the new prices for the BTO options. My option was the Bluetooth/Airport option, and I've saved about £20.

I might have gone for some of the other options, given the cheaper prices... Too late now!

BTO is still too expensive... 1000 for the configuration I want... I might be going PC.... :(

Apple has a refund policy if they drop any prices within 10 days of your order shipping. It isn't automatic, though. I had to call them up and they were helpful, but it took a little time to get worked out. But, I saved about $40! :)

From what I read on slashdot, none of the Mac minis shipped with a 4x SuperDrive. Mine has a Matshita UJ-835F, which I think is the 8x, but I'm not 100% sure.

The 8x was only on there very briefly before they changed it BACK to a 4x.

so they either were going to do it and changed their minds or someone had a typo...?

whatever the case, 4x has been and seemt o be the speed on the mini for now

Back