Apple dumping IE?!?

Hi, why does everyone develop his page for the IE or Netscape. Why aren't you making your page 100% HTML conform. If you make this your page is ok in every browser. And if it looks ugly in one browser this browser thould be trashed.

i'm writting my pages manually with BBEdit and they are always 100% HTML 4.01. Never had any problems with one or another browser. Alwas looks like it should exept for the framespacing in IE. But thats a fault in the IE and the user who use it must live with it or use a browser who can display HTMl pages correctly.

So stop using those designer programms for people who can't code HTML and make your pages HTMl conform.

Originally posted by rbuenger
Hi, why does everyone develop his page for the IE or Netscape. Why aren't you making your page 100% HTML conform. If you make this your page is ok in every browser. And if it looks ugly in one browser this browser thould be trashed.

i'm writting my pages manually with BBEdit and they are always 100% HTML 4.01. Never had any problems with one or another browser. Alwas looks like it should exept for the framespacing in IE. But thats a fault in the IE and the user who use it must live with it or use a browser who can display HTMl pages correctly.

So stop using those designer programms for people who can't code HTML and make your pages HTMl conform.

If I wanted to code manually I could, however it doesn't make good business sense to do so. While I wish it were as easy to make the code 100% conforming, it's not that case. When a minimum of 80-90% of the audience for a site is using IE, you have to make sure it properly displays in that browser. To do otherwise is very bad for business. Remember, clients generally don't care if something is compliant to a standard they've never heard of. If they know about standards, generally they would be doing their own site instead of paying for one. They do want a clean, functional site that looks good to their target audience. They're intrested in providing a service, information, or product to the public...and to make money. First impressions are very important in business, and to some people if a website displays incorrectly they may go somewhere else. If you play the numbers game then you realize that displaying in IE correctly is the utmost priority for a business.

As much as I hate to say it, I think everyone forgets that W3C standards are recomendations by an entity which doesn't actually have any real control. Remember the saying "Possession is 9/10 the law"? IE dominates the browser market by a substantial amount...and though we may not like it we have to deal with it. Those who don't are left behind.

My pages tend to look great in every browser, however if I have to make a compromise then it's towards IE everytime. To do otherwise is bad business. Maybe someday this will all change, but I am uncertain to that hope. I would love to be able to code 100% conforming everytime.

But it is 100% true. If You were to create a website for a client that was 100% html 4.01 compliant, and it didn't display correctly for the majority of the sites visitors, do you think that client would come to you again when it comes time for a change? I do cringe everytime I write something specificaly for the interface of IE but it's something that I've had to deal with.
Basicaly it is all a work around for bugs in the browser... if iCab, Netscape, or Omniweb was the most used browser on the planet we would be coding to make sure they appear correct in it.

I used to think the exact opposite, I thought that we should code correctly and all the browsers would follow. Sadly that day has never come.
Money talks pretty loud. As soon as you get one customer calling you up because their page doesn't look right... inevitably in IE, you'll start coding to make it correct.

If nobody takes the lead to change things, things never will change. If the web as a whole wants to overcome the dominance of Microsoft and others the developers (who understand this issue but choose to ignore it to make their lives easier for the short term) need to take a stand.

I think the point is that there are too many developers for all of them to take a stand; customers would simply switch to the developers whose sites work in the most popular browser.

On another note, I know it probably means at most like a 1% difference, but I (and many others) use OmniWeb set to pretend to servers that it is IE for Windows. As such, visitor stats can be somewhat affected by this.

Back