apple e-store coupons - use for iTunes?

cwoody222

Registered
I got a e-coupon to use at the online Apple store. I got it for renewing my .mac membership.

You can now buy iTunes Music Store Gift Certificates outside of iTunes, just on Apple's website store.

Has anyone tried to use one of these e-coupon discounts towards the purchase of an iTunes Gift Certificate?

Well, it was asking me to Login and click Checkout. I thought that might just automatically charge the credit card I had on file which I didn't want to happen if the discount wouldn't work.

It wasn't clear at what point I could "bail out" of the checkout.

cwoody222 said:
Well, it was asking me to Login and click Checkout. I thought that might just automatically charge the credit card I had on file which I didn't want to happen if the discount wouldn't work.

It wasn't clear at what point I could "bail out" of the checkout.

I seriously doubt they are for the iTMS. I doubt you will ever see promotions around the iTMS and discounts. 99 cents per song is probably about lowest price possible without loosing money.

This kind of irritates me. Before I decided to choose the "gift" certificate, I e-mailed Apple to ask them if I could use it in the Apple Store Online for Education. (At that time, there was no mention in the fine print that I couldn't.) I received an e-mail saying this:

Mr. ------

The e-coupon is valid in any of our online family of stores. If you qualify to shop in one of our discounted stores, you can redeem your coupon there.

Thank you for your interest in .Mac.

Sincerely,

Apple .Mac Renewal Team

So I went for it. Went to get Panther in the education store, but my coupon wouldn't validate. I e-mailed Apple again. I got this response:

Mr. ------

The e-coupon is only valid in our online main online store. The coupon may not be used in conjunction with any other discounts offered by our discounted stores. Any item in the main store qualifies for discount with your .Mac gift.

Thank you for your interest in .Mac.

Sincerely,

Apple .Mac Renewal Team

So I go back and read the fine print. It's there this time. Oh well, I'll buy myself an iTMS gift certificate and get some tunes right? Nope. Another exchange of e-mails. They tell me this time that everything in the store qualifies except iTMS gift certificates. So much for any item in the main store.

So I decide to get a QT Pro key. Seems like a reasonably good deal for $10 on top of the coupon. Wrong again. It won't let me use the coupon for this. Another exchange of e-mails. Now I'm told that downloadable software items are not elegible for use with the coupon. Are you kidding me? I should have just taken the SIMs and been happy with a game I'd never play.

Sorry for the rant. I know why they don't want to give away to many iTMS songs since they only make about 3 cents a song per sale. It just irritates me that the rules seem to keep changing. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use this wonderful "gift" toward?

d8n_two

I reckon you can't put it toward a .mac renewal. ;-) I'm glad I got the Sims.

That's a pretty crappy deal man. How long is it good for? Maybe you can hold on to it until you actually need a piece of hardware or software shipped to you? I've stopped dealing with rebates and other funny money for just this reason. If something costs $90 minus a $20 rebate, I just ignore the rebate. I've had too many of them fail. If you want to charge me $70, then do so.

curse you, aquascum.

To their defense, MY exchange of emails with them specifically mentioned no Education store, no iTMS and no Quicktime Pro. I remember QT because it said something like "all software, except QT Pro" which I understood to mean because it was downloadable.

I think their email to me said it was only good for "finished goods".

Anyway, the coupon is only good for like 30 days so it really does suck.

I'm probably going to buy a $20-40 USB drive thingy just for fun because there's no games that I want.

cwoody222 said:
To their defense, MY exchange of emails with them specifically mentioned no Education store, no iTMS and no Quicktime Pro. I remember QT because it said something like "all software, except QT Pro" which I understood to mean because it was downloadable.

I think their email to me said it was only good for "finished goods".

Anyway, the coupon is only good for like 30 days so it really does suck.

I'm probably going to buy a $20-40 USB drive thingy just for fun because there's no games that I want.

That's the whole problem. I have friends who were told the same thing you were, and others who were told the same as I was. It's really not that big of a deal though.

My coupon expires Dec. 15. I'm probably going to buy an iPod after Christmas. I wish I could extend the deadline to Jan. 15. Oh well.

\d8n_two

Well, as you could tell, I had been pretty frustrated with this whole deal. I called Apple, not to complain, but really to try and negotiate an extension so that I could use the coupon toward an iPod after Christmas. They couldn't do that, which I understand, but I thought it was worth a shot.

Disappointed, I asked what the guy recommended I get without spending too much over the $20. This guy was awesome. He went through a list of a ton of items less than $30. I finally settled on a LaCie digital media reader that reads all major flash media cards. Final cost: $15.40. This is something I will actually use every day as opposed to the Sims. So it actually makes the coupon worthwhile.

On top of that, he told me if I didn't like it, I could take it back (unopened) to an Apple Store and exchange it for a gift card.

All is cool.

d8n_two

Back