Apple Enterprise Backup Solutions 5

Go3iverson

Registered
Hi all -

In what's become a yearly release, I have officially released the fifth edition of the Apple Enterprise Backup Solutions paper. If you are unfamiliar with the document, it is a free paper that will help you find the right backup solution for your environment, outlining various backup techniques, software solutions and data consolidation solutions. This document has been referenced in numerous webcasts and online publications.

If you've read the previous releases, much of this will seem similar. The main update in this paper is a complete review of the PresSTORE 3 solution.

You can find a link to the document and its mirror at:

http://www.district13computing.com/projects.html

Enjoy!

Michael

I use Tolis Group's BRU Server. After taking "full" backups, I use frequent "differential" backups. After a catastrophe, only two restores will get me back to (almost) present. I backup to a disk and now and then dump it off to a VXA tape.

Cool. About how much data are you in charge of backing up with BRU?

I'm always curious to hear about how other people tackle this task!

Michael

Currently about 350 gb. This needs 2 tapes, not awkward enough yet to make me go shopping.

What do you think about Time Machine? Is it worth my buying a few external firewire drives?

I think if you have a solution that you are happy with, you should stick with it. The tape gives you more flexibility than FW drives would. They're always attractive, but much easier to break.

I haven't used TM on a Server. I've used AFP shares on a Leopard Server to backup wireless clients to over TM. That's been an OK experience. I've heard folks with varied responses for actually using TM to backup Leopard Server. If you are running a Mail Server, I've heard some folks say that TM may cause some sporadic issues, so you may want to test this out for yourself and see how it works for you.

Michael

Overview of OS X backup options.

The most frequent question that I am asked is how someone can protect all of the data that they store on their Xserves and Xserve RAIDs. It's a good question, too!

Most of us may have other platforms on our networks as well, so how are all of these servers and clients going to play together?

Since I was faced with this question myself, I decided to write an extensive article, detailing some of the cross-platform solutions out on the market today, primarily IBM's TSM, Atempo's Time Navigator and Tolis Group's new BRU release.

The document is housed in the Projects section on my site, www.district13computing.com, and on MacEnterprise.org. I hope this helps shed some light on a very important decision that we all must face with Mac OS X Server deployments.

Back