Apple exec: No G5 Powerbooks coming soon

Apple had to work out the cooling issues with the towers before they could even think about the Powerbooks.
I'm sure Apple would be working on both issues at the same time. It's not as if 3 dudes are doing all the work. Apple releases the Towers first, the PowerBook later, especially after they bumped the iBooks to G4 and tweaked the PB line a little. It's just a matter of time... and price.

Actually a detailed article on the PPC 970 and 980 on MPRonline states that 130nm 970's will reach well into the 3's. IBM has already fabricated the 90nm 980 and will debut it in the 3's and 4's and scale up from there. Also, the 980 has a 1x FSB multiplier allowing the FSB to run at the chip frequency - I doubt Apple will offer this as memory that fast will probably be cost prohibitive. Expect to see the G5 speedbumped early next year. I agree though, there will be no PB G5 anytime soon - anyone who's seen the heatsinks in a G5 will understand - john.

UNIX X11 said:
There will be no G5 PB. There will be no 3 GHz. G5. G5 cant reach 3 GHz. Only 2.5 to 2.8G6 reaches 5 GHz :)
There will be a G7 PB tho...
I bet my life on all of this :p

all rumour sites are not reliable.. BUT macosrumors tends to make predictions without statin that they may be unsure.
many times have they stated thay they are sure bout apples next releases and have been completely wrong.
i dont trust them.

even steve jobs said that we should see g5 powerbooks by end of 2004.
now if somethin changed and theyll be available by january, then that would be damn fantastic, and cool.. and apples laptop market share would surely increase by alot !!!

I would buy one - I'd probably have to deal drugs for a few months to afford one though!

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,86802p2,00.html

Although Apple officials are generally loathe to talk about upcoming products, Dave Russell, director of product marketing for portables and wireless at Apple, did say Apple would someday like to offer a PowerBook G5. "We certainly want to do that," he said. "But it's going to be a while. We think the G4 has a very long life in the PowerBook."

The main hurdle in getting a G5 processor into a portable is the need to keep the processor cool, he said. "Have you looked at the inside of the G5 tower?"

Here's the beginning of the story...

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,86802,00.html

ocelot said:
Actually a detailed article on the PPC 970 and 980 on MPRonline states that 130nm 970's will reach well into the 3's. IBM has already fabricated the 90nm 980 and will debut it in the 3's and 4's and scale up from there. Also, the 980 has a 1x FSB multiplier allowing the FSB to run at the chip frequency - I doubt Apple will offer this as memory that fast will probably be cost prohibitive. Expect to see the G5 speedbumped early next year. I agree though, there will be no PB G5 anytime soon - anyone who's seen the heatsinks in a G5 will understand - john.
Yes, he was quite joking about that...

Heh, that's what I've been saying all along! Despite the advances the G5 architecture has with regards to heat generation, it still has a way to go before it will be ready to go.

well im glad we have you arden, its so great to have someone that knows everything! :)

Mac OS Rumors is talking about possibly seeing Dual 1.2GHz PowerBook G4's today.

That would be a great alternative to a G5 laptop, IMO.

Does anyone make a dual processing laptop yet? That would be a great first to get!

I don't think so. The improvement of a dual toward a single cpu system is not that high to justify a higher battery drain and heat-dissipation. I want my G5 powerbook!

Back