Apple G4 Mirror Doors Power Supply/Fan Replacement Kit

dixonbm

Registered
I received my fan/pwr supply replacement kit today via airborne express. Has anyone else received theirs yet. I plan to install it later today.

Anyone noticed a difference yet?

Ok, I installed it. It definitely sounds different. When there is no other sound it sounds just as loud as before. However with the TV on I barely notice the computer at all.

Anyone else?

Me too, I'm hoping to get something. :) Maybe someone needs an extra. It would at least be good to keep around for spare parts.

I'll keep this spot updated if I sell it or not.

For those of you who are interested.

The original Fan/Power Supply from my Mirror Doors Dual 1GHZ G4 is on eBay going for $20.56 right now with 8 hours left.

I'm very happy that my shipping charge for the new, quieter Fan/Power Supply is already taken care of. Maybe I'll actually make some money off of it. :)

Go check it out if you are interested.

OK!

The auction is over! And what an amazing ending. The free fan/power supply upgrade cost me all of $20 in shipping and handling.

I have just sold my original fan/power supply for a grand total of (drum roll):

$40.65

I love eBay!

i haven't gotten my fan/power supply yet =(

did they send an email when they shipped it out?

boi, I've been reading various forums re the fan & power supply. I've never once seen a case where someone got advance warning (email) that the items were being shipped. In fact, I'd talked with the people at Apple on Tuesday and they told me to expect it in two weeks, happily it arrived an hour later. It's easy to say be patient but listening to a loud computer makes that difficult. FYI I installed it the same day and it's extremely quiet. best wishes on getting yours

I just installed mine in the last hour, and man, what a difference!

Before, I'd hear the variable-speed fan almost constantly, but the most annoying part was the constant 'whine' of the power supply fans. After the replacement was installed, the machine is as quiet as any recent tower I've experienced, and I've yet to hear the variable-speed fan at all!

This machine is an original MDD dual gig, running 10.2.4, and I *did* apply the firmware update that was supposed to provide some improvement (which it didn't). I'd say it now sounds about the same as our other desktop: a Sawtooth G4/400.

I'm happy as a camper can be... And I have no plans to sell the old PS on ebay. I think I'll hang on to it as a backup, unless someone else comes along needing it.

John-o

hey Dixonbm....didn't they charge your credit card for the replacement power supply? I heard you had to send back your old one....or it would get expensive? :-?

I dunno....since i have the 933 QS, this replacement doesn't apply....so I only glanced at the replacement procedure....

We all thought that too, I think. But when the kit comes, the instruction manual begins with an important reminder to dispose of the old power supply in a manner that meets local waste management regs...

So, sell away, eh?

Originally posted by jiclark
...This machine is an original MDD dual gig, running 10.2.4, and I *did* apply the firmware update that was supposed to provide some improvement (which it didn't). I'd say it now sounds about the same as our other desktop: a Sawtooth G4/400...

I also installed that update, but I think it only dealt with the problem under OS9, however, my MDD has never booted in OS9, so I don't know what the noise was like because I use classic instead of booting again.:D

Back