Apple Home Theater? (opinion question not rumor)

mailseth

Registered
Hey all, I am in the market for a dvd player. Movies are the only thing that I use the TV for. It would make sense to me to take the money that I would put into a dvd player/ tv and use it to buy a better computer/display and do all of my dvd watching on the computer.

I am thinking that I could make a very nice system once I had saved up enough for a 21" Apple Studio Display (and by that time they will have dropped in price ;-). My only worry is the audio. What do you guys think of this plan and do you think that Apple will enable Dolby 5.1/DTS on the dvd player/audio card at any date soon?

I have been wanting Apple to do this along, long, long time. Just think how cool it would be to have a Mac centric home theater system!! I doubt this will happen any time soon, but who knows with the new Digital Hub idea. Hope it soon gets in there!:D

if its not in the plans for 2005 or sooner i would say apple is falling behind. someday the whole house WILL be centered around a computer hub. I can see it now - "you've got to come over and see all the things my new apple tetrahedron can do!! i feel so sorry for those people with M$ homes. I've heard some of them have had to go without TV and hot water for a whole week while they figured out how to turn them on. but they just keep buying them because their neighbors do. do they really think that $5000 cash back offer is worth all they have to go thru?? I mean what is a few hours wages compared to peace of mind?!?":D

he he

The Screen:
if a 22 inch widescreen studio display is $2500, what would at 60 inch HDTV Digital Widescreen display from Apple cost?! it would be hella nice, but way outta my league in pricing...

The Audio:
since mac is awesome with audio, imaging the quality on large apple pro audio surround sound speakers!

The Quality:
AWESOME!

I seem to be in the minority on this one, but I'm sticking to my guns.

The culture of TV watching is different from the computer experience and will be for some time. When I watch TV, I want to be distant and relaxed, not propped up at a desk (not that you necessarily have to do this with a computer, but in general...).

Not to mention the fact that a CRT, LCD and NTSC screen look completely different from each other. I prefer an NTSC experience (though a plasma or hidef would rule I'm sure) for DVDs.

Might I also warn that as awesome as a Cinema Display is, it may not necessarily satisfy your DVD watching needs. I do not own a Cinema Display, I'm only going from articles in DV magazine regarding that type of thing.

For me personally, my TV and my computer are two totally separate things and will be for quite some time.

For me, if I knew that dolby 5.1 would work, I would love it if apple let me use it as an excuse to treat myself to a cinema display. I spend most of my time on the computer, and very little on the tv, but I like a good movie. A cinema display would be great, I just need a good excuse to save up my money and buy one.

Back