Apple iDeas

The iTab. When you first look at it, it's an iBook with a stylus. But when you fit the thing with 2 Airport Cards (one for the base, and one for the screen) BOOM! Instant ultralight tablet up to 100 feet. Now I'd buy that :D

On the software front:
I would like the option to have windows auto expand when you open a folder (in list mode) which contains heaps of files etc –_it would stop when it reaches the top of the dock or bottom of screen if dock is hidden. You would also have the option to turn this off or on using a modifier key etc.

eric

The folding computer. iFold it will be called, which is quite ironic, since its like its saying that it folds. yay!
This is the dumbest idea ever.

How about this! The new Apple Pro Mouse 2. Two clicks on the top with a scroll wheel inbetween the two. And then where your thumb is, there is a third click!!!!!!!

iTunes 5: Put videos in your playlist, replacing quicktime. Dunno what it'll be called. iTunes actually IS just quicktime, except it has a playlist. You need quicktime to use itunes :)

Apple already has folding computers.

Apple wouldn't put a button where your thumb is on the Pro Mouse because that is where you pick the thing up, and it's a reference point for holding the mouse while clicking.

iTunes 5 with video would be called MacMP, or Macintosh Media Player. Windows already does this.

Mike: Why not an iTablet that's just a computer behind a touchscreen? Some of the boys on the Dark Side came up with something like this, but Apple could probably do it better. It could even have a slide-out keyboard.

Originally posted by arden
Why not an iTablet that's just a computer behind a touchscreen? Some of the boys on the Dark Side came up with something like this, but Apple could probably do it better. It could even have a slide-out keyboard.

Amen Arden! And of course I could use such a tablet for you know what! :)

Do you think Apple is just plain burned to this day from Newton-itis to ever develop a tablet type device until everyone else does? I hope not - even though the Newton took so much abuse for hand writing recognition, but Graphiti solved that (I had Graphiti on my Newton years ago) and the darn thing was so cool and powerful - just a little too ahead of its time (and price). I remember Jobs criticizing comtemporary PDAs a year or so ago and I thought that would lead into something from Apple (PDA, tablet... something).

i want a moveable desktop. You can choose how big your desktop should be. For example: i choose that my desktop should be 5000x2800. But i will only see 1440x900, because i have an iMac 17". To see the rest of the desktop, you just move your mouse to the right/left/up/down with the Shift key pressed.

Or what about a moveable screen? You can not only move the desktop, but you can move the whole damn thing!

For example: You have 4 Safari-windows open, all placed next to each other. To see the most right window (which you can not see, because it's off-screen), you move your mouse to the right with the Shift Key pressed.

The dock and menu-bar stay at the same position (on top of all things).

That's my idea.

ohyes, you have also a Navigation-window, which you can active when you press F1 and deactive by pressing F1 again. Its opacity is 70 procent, so you can see through it. It's something like Photoshop's Navigator.

Yup, that would be cool.

[gasp!]
How do i turn it on!?

iSight should be built in the imac! You know where the little apple logo is? there would be a neat place. But it would be better if it was inside the screen, so you could point the cam somewhere else by adjusting the screen.

I think the cam should be separate, just like it is. ;-) Not everybody has a use for a webcam, and if you DO have a use, you might enjoy the freedom of moving it about your room to show your iChat buddy around. But I think for notebooks, an integrated cam makes some sense (see Sony's VAIO models). However, it should be able to make better pictures and yet be much smaller. The VAIO cams are usually just-not-good-enough to make pictures that could also be used for one or the other print.

I'd like a remote control for my Mac. One that would allow me to select between a limited number of applications such as iTunes, iPhoto and Apple DVD Player. On its small LCD screen you could jog through a song or create a new playlist, create a new album of photos and instruct it to play on the computer screen or do something as simple as move through menus and scenes on a DVD. If Apple used radio frequencies it could be used anywhere within the house.

Obviously the small screen would be good for looking only at lists of songs or thumbs of about 4 photos. Otherwise, the remote would just display system wide controls such as master volume. If the remote could contact you when you had mail, that would be nice, or if you could respond to instant messages using handwriting recognition... but that's basically becoming the PDA which will never be made by Apple.

I think it's a feaseable idea since other remotes already interact with Macs, but seemless integration of the more entertainment-based iApps would be a real selling point.

A very cool thing would be to have a virtual keyboard as an option on laptops. Basically instead of the keyboard you have a kind of touchscreen which can be used to draw or write, but you can also visualize a keyboard on which you can type normally. Obviously this can be configured in the OS to show the keys you need and all kinds of localized layouts (the Z-Y inversion of german, French Azerty, Italian accented letters, Dvorak, Quake symbols...). This would be quite expensive, but also very very cool...

Here is one I like to see. A Auto Pilot.

It be a app where you use a menu of some kind you can select what other apps you like have turn them selves on. For example with this I could set my Mac to turn on by it's self at 8:00 in the morning, then it open iTunes and select my favorite station or playlist and start playing.

Originally posted by arden
Matrix: Why not use Bluetooth with the remote?

I originally thought the same thing, but bluetooth is a short range interconnect, it's more likely that 802.11g would be used over everything else.

I believe we're on the same page though, I'd love to see bluetooth pushed forward wherever it can be applied. Adoption of Bluetooth has been dog slow.

Reality: In OS 9, you could set your computer to start up and shut down at specified times, and you could put stuff in your Startup Items so that the computer would be all ready to go when you got to it.

One small quibble: I don't know what country you live in, so I don't know how familiar you are with English syntax. In English you put the word "an" before words starting with vowels or vowel sounds, so "a chicken lays an egg." The only reason I bring it up (I don't usually correct grammatical errors like this) is that it's a little hard to read your posts when you say something like "a app;" it presents a sort of mental stumbling block.

They should improve Classic so that you can switch to os 9 instantly (os x logs out and os 9 comes to the front).

Also it would be neat if windows and mac came together to make one SuperOS. It would take time, but slowly it would turn into a nice operating system.
It would use a dock, right click and it shows the windows in the program. The X and all that would be on the right side. You could switch between a few themes.... Aqua, Brushed, Luna XP, Silver XP, and a cool default theme.
Then all games and programs would work on it. All of the things made for Mac or Windows, and some stuff that's new and made for the new system!

Back