Apple In-Ear Headphones

diablojota

Doctoral Student
Hey Everyone,
I just have a question. Has anyone tried or owned Apple's in-ear headphones? If so, what do you think about them? Are they worth it? If not, is there something else you would recommend in the same price range?
I have finally gotten to the point that the standard ear buds that came with the iPod just don't do it for me any more, and I would like to upgrade.

Thank you for your help.
FcB

Beware of apple branded earphones, i like the quality but muggers here in London have been using them to target iPod users. :confused:

Hey ora, that is a good point. I've heard that about London. The in-ear ones are better than the ear buds right? Better bass and treble?

i bought the in-ears some months ago, due to problem with my ears and normal ear-buds. they just don't fit togheter. a little twitch and they fall out.. but i got BIG ISSUES with the in-ears aswell!

i liked how they fit in the ear, they did exactly what i expected fittingswise.. i got somewhat a "claustrophobic" feel after a while, since they are really IN-ears, but thats not really an issue.. just a matter of getting used to it i guess..

but what i couldn't get used to was the matter of how they sound. it seems like there are no bass at all, and the lighter tones are WAAAY to high. the EQ is no good, thats for sure. it actually got to that point where i stopped using them after, say.., maybe 4-5 weekend-trips.. i ended up with my ears hurting like hell, a headache if i had them in too long etc..
i know i like to play my music loud, wich surely contributed, but even on regular volume my ears couldn't take it.

i wouldn't recommend them for anything, there are some many better alternatives out there. me myself chose to go for a KOSS closed headset. yeah, i know they are not in-ears, not even earbuds, but the listening-pleasure is so much higher with a headset.

if you have to go with the small buds/in-ears, i would recommend getting one of those normal earbuds, with a in-ear prolongation(?) on them, like theese, for example. get what i'm saying? hard to explain, since i have no clue about what they're called, but i have had several pairs, and always been satisfied. they fit much better in the ear aswell, since the actually have this one piece on them wich goes into the ear, and kinda keeps it "locked". that helped me at least, concerning my problem with normal earbuds.

thes sonys are even half the price of the apple in-ears.

hope it helps,
alex.

Alexandr, thank you for taking the time. I will definitely look into the Sony's. You have provided me with exactly the information I was looking for and experiences.

Cheers.

no worries. if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.. my email is in my profile!

(i even speak german if you want ;) )

alex.

I was extremely impressed by the quality of these earphones, and for value for money they were superb.

After 7-8 weeks the left one goes really quiet, and the right one is doing the same (about 12 weeks)

this seems to be a common problem with these earphones, Ive seen in a number of forums that people are having this problem. I dont blast my music into my head, i have them on 70-80% volume on average.

When at MacExpo04 this year, i got one of the support staff at apple to have a look / listen at the earphones and sure enough, they denied that they know of the problem (which must mean it exists ;) ) ....

.... anyway to cut a long story short, they gave me new ones on request. (Yay for Apple)

- So beware of the earphones, they look great, they sound great, but only sound great for a couple of months in my case :D

hope that helps :confused:

yeah, the Apple in ear's are not good IMO. Definitely NOT an upgrade from the iPOd earbuds. They were quieter, and when trying to get more volume/bass out of them it just distorted instead of getting louder and staying clear.

the sony's are a good alternative (from what I hear - no pu intended). if you have tons of extra money, the shure E3c's are supposed to be the hands-down best in ear kinds.

ora said:
Beware of apple branded earphones, i like the quality but muggers here in London have been using them to target iPod users. :confused:

I heard rumours about that, didn't know if it was true. I'll take your word on that.

I had some white phillips in ear headphones, and everyone thought I had an iPod, but nope, I have a 60 GB Zen :confused: .

The earphones were ok, ora if you look in the Argos catalogue they're the red in ear ones, mine were white. I really liked them. But the thing is, the actual inner piece kept falling off, and when I lost one, I couldn't use the earphone, it hurt, wouldn't stay in. Checked online, no replacement parts. Kinda sucked.

Stay clear of inner ear, IMO.

Back