Apple incorporates yet another company into the collective!

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
Originally posted by MacMinute
Apple today announced that it has acquired Zayante, a leader in IEEE 1394 (FireWire) technology and services. Founded in 1996, Zayante develops the silicon and software used by leading manufacturers to create FireWire devices. "By acquiring Zayante, Apple is extending its commitment to FireWire as the premiere, high-speed digital interface solution," Jon Rubinstein, Apple's senior vice president of Hardware Engineering said in a statement. Terms of the acquisition were not released; Zayante has received US$4.5 million in venture capital financing to date.

Apple sure is doing a lot of acquiring these days.... I'm wondering what they're gonna do with this company.

Zayante develops the silicon and software used by leading manufacturers to create FireWire devices.

I think it's because Apple wants to be the ones talking directly to companies like Sony who make the digital devices that use firewire.

They want to be able to give direct info straight from the Firewire creator's mouth to probably sway them away from new technologies like USB 2.0. The last thing Apple wants to do is adapt that crappy technology, so they want to be able to prove to companies that Firewire (and upcoming "revisions" to firewire) is a much better choice to use in their products.

That's my best guess.

Rumor has it Steve got them for really really cheap too. Nothing like impulse bargain buying, eh? Pretty soon he's going to have the whole collection!

Cheers,
Dak

Back