Apple Internet Computer next year

This will happen in the corporate world first, where network bandwidth is much better than residential broadband, and where the desire to control what people are doing (surfing) or not doing (running the specified virus software) is very high.

In one place that I know all of the business critical applications are web-based, centrally hosted applications. Email? Why must we have a desktop client. This leaves only Excel, Word and PowerPoint. This problem can be solved.

With the desire to maximize resource utilization and reduce costs (maintenance, upgrades, etc.) this 'thin client" / "diskless workstation" / "Internet computer" concept will get some traction. But in corporations first. In consumer or residential? That is much more doubtful to me.

This discussion is wonderful! - I wish it was happening in my forum :(

Indeed, SUN has made headway with java in corporations. I don't expect IC's to replace conventional computers in the domestic market, but to carve out their own niche, and also expand into a different market.

Going back the my misunderstanding of the word 'hub'. The digital hub is not at the centre of our universe, but at the centre of our locality. Anyway, how many of us in this forum use our Macs mostly in a consumer-oriented digital hub fashion? Not many people here I expect. Most of us here are digital content creators - not consumers. I wouldn't expect to see people editing photoshop files, or digital movies using a IC. The stand-along mac will remain an excellent tool for content creation.

However, online versions of the consumer offerings such as AppleWorks, iTunes, Sherlock, Mail, iCal, iChat AV, iPhoto? etc. etc. Are not hard to imagine.

Server-supplied programs are not impossible. Just look at, basically, every interactive Flash movie ever made. Eventually regular applications will be server-supplied just like Flash movies, meaning you'd have to connect in a certain way to use anything. This obviously means greatly-increased network costs and a greater necessity for broadband, but it also means companies can charge a subscription for licenses, plus charge for each session of the program, significantly jacking consumers.

Back