Apple iPod's new Ad campign copies other's idea?

Hmm. I don't think so. Similar, but not exact. You have to be VERY different to be completely original nowadays, so much so that you may go too far. The new Apple ads are good for the brand IMO. This is the first school year I've had anyone say "I need to get a Mac" (actually happened a few times) instead of "Eww, is that a Mac?"

Yeah, they are pretty similar. I would say the iPod ads may have been inspired by those ones, but not ripped from them.

In keeping with the current copyrighting of all things common...
I have obtained a copyright for the silhouette.
All ads containing said silhouette will have to obtain a license from me.
My lawyers tell me I can even extend this to shadows, so do try and stay out of harsh light or direct sunlight.
Thank you.

Would you prefer this?

http://homepage.mac.com/dave17lax/ipodgreen.jpg

mightyjlr, I'm glad you mentioned that. I have had the same experience, a friend of my mom's bought an imac a few months ago, and my girlfriend's sister got an emac. Both were pcers who wanted something a little cooler. Looks like Apple's strat is working from my viewpoint.

BTW in tune with my pic, I like those ads. When you leave the face blank, it lets the viewer ad their own idea of what fits in there. Basically the same reason why halo's master chief helmet won't ever come off in view, they want you to assume the persona of the character.
Good contrast to the in your face 'baby got back' type ads.

I'd hazard to guess that "silhouetted, vectorized figure" on a colored background is a fairly basic graphic design idea. Coupled with the fact that the iPod's primary market is "hip urbanites" (all of us 20-somethings want to be hip-hop stars with 4-hour-a-day hair salon appointments, dontchaknow), I'd say we have here a genu-wine coincidence.

It's generic and basic, but it's oh-so-much better than the "singing everyman/woman" thing.

P.S. Dave: Too funny =)

Is there a commercial that goes along with these ads? Or is it just the banners on the main page and iPod page?

Oh come on, it's a silhouette, and Ripcord said it right, it's an old GD element of design. It's basically the Apple ads of old, remove the white, and mask out the person... and keep the iPod in view... what do you get.

This concept is one of the first assignments I had in my first graphic design class as an undergrad. There have been a number of ads (print and broadcast) that have used very similar ideas.

d8n_two

Apple should actually do Flash movies with a few good beats as TV ads with those... Gotta say: I like Apple adopting a better style. The recent iPod TV ads sucked almost as much as the switch ad campaign. Now let's hope that people get on the train and buy Apple's stuff...

This is just ridiculous. No campaign own's the copyright for the principle of vector art in advertising.

Colour and vectorised art is hugely used worldwide, and now Apple has jumped on the bandwagon. Good for them.

Fryke, I was thinking almost the same thing. Apple should either animate or tape people dancing to some funky beat as they listen to their iPods, with the device flashing in view closeup every now and then, and mask out the people. They could show different people dancing in different ways on different backgrounds, and cut between them.

Dave: Now that makes me want an iPod. Or run for the hills. I forget which.

On an almost, but not quite, completely unrelated note: I like the pink one best! :)

When are they going to make coloured iPods to match the ads?

didnt the original apple logo have five of these colors as so did the five fruity iMacs?

mabey apple started the idea, the world copied them with the iMac color thing and every product in the world all of a sudden had five colors.

Apple has pretty good marketing and advertising concepts if you notice the world follows apple with this.

Those colors took off in products long before the iMac. I remember seeing all types of things in the early 90s, even pagers that came in those colors, so thats was just a trend that Apple carried over to computers, which made it even more popular and revived it all over again. Now colorful screens on cell phones is the thing, well i don't like it, but to each their own. And i would say Apple adapts to what is going on in the world and tries to determine where it is going at the same time, and they do damn good at that, can't argue against their marketing, they do they research.

This is a very classic form of design. It mimics the designs you'd see in the 70's. This is a trend that is seen throughout the areas where I live.

The "Silhouette look" is nothing new.

To claim that Apple somehow stole it, is not really a fair assessment, since this is a style used in mainstream design.

It's a design factor. Silhouettes are used quiet frequently in advertising by thousands and thousands of design/ad agencies everywhere. There's practically no way to copy the idea for an ad...unless you use exactly the same silouette. :)

Anyone remember the DeBeers commercials? I can't find a picture of them online anywhere but it was shadow people wearing diamond rings and necklaces which is what I thought of when I saw Apple's commercials. An element of real on the silhouette.

Maybe that was intentional... Apple wanted to be in a class with diamond sellers? Not that DeBeers is any rolemodel of society.

Back