Apple is losing the CPU battle

David Simmons

Registered
It seems that Apple is not stepping up to the plate as to CPU performance. When I switched over to Apple's about two years ago Apple looked as they were going to lead the market. But if they are intending to lead by .XX increases every 10 months or so they will get run over by the Microsoft/Intel Market. Just as they start to get software vendors to move to MAC OSX they start to losing vendors by the inability to keep up with the Intel hardware. Where is the G5 or something in the 3Ghz or better CPU speeds.

And now there are rumors that Adobe is going to make the Intel the major platform. What an opportunity lose as far as Apple. I hope Apple does not let their users down and again by falling behind in the market as far as hardware which starts the software vendors moving to Microsoft/Intel platforms. I love the MAC OSX system and hope Apple starts paying attention to there users and the market. They are priced to high not be the leaders.

You need to read the other posts. This has been flogged. It has been identified that the G4 needs to be a little faster and also vast conversations on what might be next.

Why do we have to race PC's. My DPG4 is not the fastest but it does my job to a tea. I could not care about what joe thinks he can do on his PC. All I know is most people (mac users) may agree that the Ghz race is pointless.

Well put, Langley...

I got a few jeers the when PC folks learnt that my TiBook is 'just' 800MHz, but when they learn that it's a proper Unix machine, running all the standard Linux-type stuff (Gimp, OpenOffice, nmap, ethereal, vi, etc), all mainline Mac apps, including MS Office, and, by the way, runs Windows2000 (VPC), has native connectivity to (and servers for) NFS, SAMBA, AFP, DAV, and SSH/SFTP and does all this with buitin wireless and gigabit ethernet, and can output to a second monitor to span the desktop and doesn't have to weigh 9 pounds to do it... well, they got quiet... :)

Would I like a faster G4? Sure. But it's not the most important thing.

Originally posted by David Simmons
It seems that Apple is not stepping up to the plate as to CPU performance. When I switched over to Apple's about two years ago Apple looked as they were going to lead the market. But if they are intending to lead by .XX increases every 10 months or so they will get run over by the Microsoft/Intel Market. Just as they start to get software vendors to move to MAC OSX they start to losing vendors by the inability to keep up with the Intel hardware. Where is the G5 or something in the 3Ghz or better CPU speeds.

And now there are rumors that Adobe is going to make the Intel the major platform. What an opportunity lose as far as Apple. I hope Apple does not let their users down and again by falling behind in the market as far as hardware which starts the software vendors moving to Microsoft/Intel platforms. I love the MAC OSX system and hope Apple starts paying attention to there users and the market. They are priced to high not be the leaders.

Excuse me in advance for saying the following but...

Are you trolling? I'm asking because I saw the same post in another part of this forum, here: http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30590

I hope that you double posted by bad luck or something ;)

Anyways, don't worry! Apple will sooner or later do something about the speed area but keep in mind that Macs are as fast as the Wintels are if not faster in most areas of our computing lives :D

"Apple is losing the CPU battle"

Wow, thanks Sherlock! Have some faith. People have always been saying Apple will die with in a few years. That started back when? 1985? Well it is 2003 and they are still in business. So again, have some faith.

A brief look at OSX's history shows that the Macintosh platform is going to be faster and faster within the years. Introduction of MacOS X Jaguar is an example of what is meant to happen: speed increase.

I hope that one day OSX joins OS9 in its incredible speed. What is sure is that OS9 will still run faster/smoother at home :rolleyes: (and that's why I still use it ! Haha ! You won't get me people ! OMG did I write that ?)

Back