Apple iTMS sells record barking 3.3 million songs in 1 week!

jobsen_ski

Daily Player
just announced on apple website-

Music fans have purchased and downloaded a record-setting 3.3 million songs from the new iTunes Music Store since its launch one week ago. iTunes users have already published more than 20,000 iMixes, and those iMixes have been rated by fellow iTunes users over 50,000 times. In addition, iTunes users have downloaded more than 500,000 free songs from popular artists including Foo Fighters, Avril Lavigne, Courtney Love, Annie Lennox, Jane’s Addiction, Counting Crows, Renee Fleming and Nelly Furtado during Apple’s week-long “Free Song of the Day” anniversary promotion
(from apple site)

You and you're geek talk ;) Even *I'm* not that bad, and I have a geek percentage of over 42%! :D

I wonder if all the free songs had something to do with this?

dlloyd said:
You and you're geek talk ;) Even *I'm* not that bad, and I have a geek percentage of over 42%! :D

I wonder if all the free songs had something to do with this?
It is my understanding that the free songs were not included in this annoncement.

MisterMe said:
It is my understanding that the free songs were not included in this annoncement.
correct!

"In addition to the 3.3 million purchased songs, iTunes users have downloaded more than 500,000 free songs during Apple's week-long "Free Song of the Day" anniversary promotion."

I meant: maybe the free songs are doing a really good job of getting people *into* the store.

dlloyd said:
I meant: maybe the free songs are doing a really good job of getting people *into* the store.

probably are but imagine if apple can keep this up! that means (if they had sold exactly 70 m on the 28th april) then they would sell 100 m by like the end of the July! even 3m a week would be great, and 3m a week MUST be enough to make a bit of a profit?! :confused:

Go! Go! Go!

Competition's getting tougher, with Sony's service recently released (without some of the problems that Rhapsody has, though some problems of its own), and Microsoft's upcoming store. Unlike Real, Napster, etc. these two have both the drive and the capital to survive being a low market share-holder for an extended period of time as they use non-competitive means (Sony stops selling music as much to Apple, let's say, Microsoft starts bundling their product with Windows or other tie-ins) to push themselves ahead of iTunes.

It's going to be getting tougher for iTunes, let's just hope Apple has the plan, the capability, and the momentum to keep this up!

Back