Apple iTunes - 6.0

Thanks for the link. Doesn't say, though, what happens if it's a wide screen movie or something... Well, I'm trying with a movie trailer now.

Right now I'm converting my recently ripped Spiderman 2 DVD into the iPod 320x240 format via QuickTime Player. I'll write up a summary once it's complete.

I still wouldn't buy regular episodes with that quality, especially since the playback in iTunes is so ridiculously poor. I'm much more likely to watch them with Tivo, or wait to buy the DVDs when they come out.

However, I AM very interested in the potential, and the home media aspects. I'm *very* interested in the idea of having my media library centralized and available when, say, I'm in the bedroom (where my Mac Mini is hooked up to the TV and I've been trying to do something like this with my ATI Remote Wonder remote). I like the idea of using iTunes to manage my media library, and of using Front Row to access it all. And if my iPod can play them when I'm on the road or at a friend's house, so much the better.

Apple seems like they've taken a big step, but are only halfway to where this will take off. In my opinion, they'd need:

- Higher quality downloads (ESPECIALLY if they can get studios to allow movies for download)
- MUCH better variety of video downloads
- Better import options (including converting existing media to whatever iTunes "wants" to play)
- DVD import. This would require DRM'ing the imported video somehow, but as long as it's not ridiculously crippled, it'd be acceptable to me.
- Front Row on Mac Minis (it's definitely a killer app for that market. The only reason I can think that it seems to be downplayed at the moment is that the Minis just aren't fast enough to run it smoothly (looks like it does some Core Video effects and things). Once the Minis are powerful enough I'm sure it'd be marketed heavily)

My trailer took a while to convert, but at the end, the result was quite okay. 320 pixel wide, and _not_ 240 pixel high, only the pixels actually needed. So the converter is at least as intelligent as I hoped for. Converting a whole movie will take _quite_ some time, I guess.

I also wonder... When Steve started videos on the iPod, it took a few seconds to start. This probably means that the iPod loads the video - or at least a large chunk - into a cache of some sort. We don't know how big that is, but it might be enough for a whole music video. The question would be: How much would the battery drain if it had to constantly load the video from the harddrive? My guess is that whole movies, currently, is rather a no-go on these devices. At least when on battery power.

for some reason software update fails to conplete the download, but downloading the dmg from Apple's iTunes page works fine :confused:

I;m still downloading Despreate Housewives since yesterday. Issue? YEAH!

So should I get this video iPod or wait for the new one next year?

are any of you able to preview the TV shows? The preview never starts for me. :(

Also anyone able to find the Eminem add on Apple's website? It was on the front page last night, but the link was dead and now it's gone completely.

Last night I started converting an entire movie to the iPod format, and it took a very long time. I had to let it go over night and it finished sometime this morning. The completed file is 617MB and 2:17 long. Original size was about 1GB.

I can't preview the TV shows either. It just pretends to be loading it or something but really there's no Internet traffic.

the preview only works if you have QT 7.0.3 and iTunes 6 installed through Software Update or from the web and restarted your computer.

The podcasts' resolution are depending on their creators.

Veljo said:
It's exciting to have all these features, but a punch in the stomach to know THEY'RE OF NO USE TO ME!

The ignorance of Australian music companies drives me insane. Still, in late 2005, Australia has no iTunes Music Store. All I can do is browse the US store, listen to high quality clips and do nothing about buy them. Piracy in Australia will continue.
Dude as far as I know the only reason you can't use an itunes store from another country is the location of your credit card. If you can get a US or other credit card with a billing address in that country then you should be able to use the store of that country. I might be wrong but I think it worth a try. All best, Doc.

Doc, that might be possible...but also highly illegal. Reread your terms of service and use agreements. Not to mention the fact that it would raise serious alarm bells at anti-terrorism agencies and probably violate some laws here and there.

Veljo, is it the music companies or the laws in Australia causing issues? I vaguely remember hearing or reading something a while back about some law or statute of some kind causing the delay in the Australian iTMS.

fryke said:
the preview only works if you have QT 7.0.3 and iTunes 6 installed through Software Update or from the web and restarted your computer.

The podcasts' resolution are depending on their creators.

I have both of those. They still don't work.

Captain Code said:
I have both of those. They still don't work.
Same here. However, the other movies they have, like the Pixar shorts and music videos, do work. But all of those are loaded using a different method — a big web-style "preview" button instead of the typical iTunes list.

Back