Apple just doesn't get it.

It would be better if the two lower models are a bit less expensive. The G4 desktops should naturally be cut in prices accordingly. However, the top end G5 is well worth its price. As long as Apple puts on a compelling marketing campaign, there should be a lot of willing customers.

do you think apple just sets an arbitrary price? please. they have R&D to cover. they have raw materials to cover. they have ibm to pay. they have assembly and all their workers to pay. they have a slim profit margin to keep.
what do you think they're doing over there? picking $s out of a hat and saying, "eh, this sounds like a good price." if it was cheaper to make, it'd be cheaper to buy. it's like preschool economics, people.

You get what you pay for. If you can't afford dropping 15+ hundo on a computer, get yerself an eMac (like me ;) )

Its true. The price is well worth it. The Computer will last for years and years (and with 8 GBs of expandable RAM...heh...). My friend has a PowerMac G4 @ 450MHz and it has worked wonderfully for all of 4 and a half years now! I do admit tho, it is now finally showing its starting to age, but nonetheless...4 and a half freaking years! I bought a Gateway Comp with an Athlon @1.1Ghz about a year and a half ago and it's already showing its age.

I'd have to honestly say that's why I switched from PC to Mac (I bought a 17inch iMac about a year after i bought the Gateway). I knew that the iMac would last MUCH longer than any PC I could by, so I switched. :D

Originally posted by chabig
...and so would the performance. The new G5 PowerMacs would blow away your 2GHz Pentium.

Fortunately, I don't have a p4 2ghz pc. I have an eMac. I could use an upgrade though. I'm tired of using Illustrator with this eMac. :D

There is this interesting quandry about Apple announcements.

Everybody looks forward to MacWorld events (and I guess the WWDC now) because Apple usually shows off some great new products. Unfortunately, product development cycles don't always match show cycles, so sometimes we get shipping products like Safari 1.0 and sometimes we get delays like with the new G5 machines.

Most of us would be just as astounded if Apple waited until August to announce the new G5 machines, but at the same time we want big trade show surprises and big trade shows help Apple get newspeople to show up and cover an announcement, therefore getting the word out about products.

So here's your choice; shows with less product announcements and more shipping machines or big announcements and product shipping delays.

If he could get it both ways, Steve would sell G5's off the stage to the crowd loaded with 10.3.

And sure Ferraris would sell more cars if they dropped their prices to 49,900 $. If you have no money for a Ferrari, get a Toyota or something cheap and don't complain your car lacks features.

I don't complain about those prices. I just wish i had money to get a G5.

A clear space is staring to emerge amongst pro Mac users with the G5. Graphic and web designers, students, general users (who desire a pro mechine), can quite easily exist on a G4. A G5 is perhaps overkill for these tasks. Sooo, people are complaining of the price, because, as stated, the power within the G5, they may never fully utilise.

Now, most of the people Jobs brought out on stage where from software development companies who NEED the full power for there apps (that Mathmatica guy, Emagic's guy). Even Apple's site gives speed tests in high-level real-world apps such as some genome development etc. Not, as would be useless, in Fireworks, Illustrator etc.

Video, Audio, and scientifically intense projects is where the G5 will really make it's name. Great, Panther will runner hell of a lot better, and Photoshop will zip along a lot nicer, but, I think, and we are all entitled to feel this way, that a lot of desire for the next new Apple machine, is clouding the fact that we may just not need one.

Saying that, I do, and I'm gonna bust the bank to get it (honestly, I do need it, 400Mhz starting to feel pedestrian.) ;)

Hey, few people are going to complain if Apple ever drops the prices on anything. But I personally don't want Apple to do what M$ does on the XBox and lose $50 or so on every machine that goes out the door.
Maybe M$ can afford that loss, but I don't think Apple's up there in that range. I'm still happy with my laptop and heck, even my old clamshell Graphite still gets the job done.
Anyway, in 12 months, prices will drop some to clear inventory and some troll will be griping left and right that the 3 Ghz Macs are $499.99 too expensive.

Originally posted by bolindilly
if it was cheaper to make, it'd be cheaper to buy. it's like preschool economics, people.

Originally posted by Giaguara
I don't complain about those prices. I just wish i had money to get a G5.

Like Stan the man - 'nuff said!

:D ;) :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :) :D

hey- after you get steve to bring down the prices could you deal with Subaru, because I would love a Forester Turbo at cost.

thanks in advance.

So Apple sais the G5 is the "worlds fastest desktop computer" what about AMD OPTERON, or HAMMER?
those are 64 bit . opteron is out and available, to buy as a desktop pc.
lets compare 64 to 64, ppc 970, vs, opteron. were the benchmarsk based on 32 bit apps, vs, the xeon32, or 64 bit against the xeon32?

Originally posted by TRITON
So Apple sais the G5 is the "worlds fastest desktop computer" what about AMD OPTERON, or HAMMER?
those are 64 bit . opteron is out and available, to buy as a desktop pc.
lets compare 64 to 64, ppc 970, vs, opteron. were the benchmarsk based on 32 bit apps, vs, the xeon32, or 64 bit against the xeon32?

...one of the cheapest fastest desktop computer too! :p

Supposedly Dual XEON 3GHz is faster than Dual Opteron/anyGHz so there is actually no real competition betweem a Dual Opteron/Xeon/Whatever against G5... :rolleyes:

Damn even Adobe's CEO (yeah that Adobe with the PC Preferred fiasco) said that G5 is a monster computer! Well, not exactly in those words! :p

Boom! :D ;) :)

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS WHOEVER STARTED THIS TOPIC POBABLYDRIVES A FORD TOPAZ AND THINKS ITS A PORCHE BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY YOU DONT REALIZE QUALITY COSTS MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back