Apple just doesn't get it.

Originally posted by Randman
I personally don't want Apple to do what M$ does on the XBox and lose $50 or so on every machine that goes out the door.
Dude, maybe I should get an XBox now! :)

I guess the only thing I'm annoyed at is my desire to get more drive bays, not less... :rolleyes:

And for the record, I don't think the prices are too much at all. I want one, but first I'll give my 450 G4 a processor upgrade.

This is just my opinion, others will disagree, but as for processor upgrades DON'T DO IT.

I have done it twice and found the net result to be almost worthless. Sure, there's some raw CPU gain, but there's no architecture gain. Also, by the time you need a procesor upgrade, the software you use typically has advanced with the more current machines (read: bloatware), therefore the processor upgrade again doesn't get you much.

Just my experience. If t were me, I'd save the cash and buy a whole new box.

I got an 800 Mhz upgrade for my Sawtooth 350 and it was well worth it. Of course I knew that I wouldn't get the benefits of the updated architecture in a 1.4 Ghz PowerMac or whatever but I also knew that I wasn't going to get a new computer for at least six months and spending £220 (or whatever) was a very effective stopgap. I also got a Radeon for 30 squid and I've seen a great improvement in my 4 year old machine. Processor upgrades are more useful for some people than others, for example if you've got quite a recent G4 and want to add a couple of hundred MHz to it, but for people like me it worked out really well, especially as the cost of upgrades has dropped significantly over the past year or so.

if apple lowers the prices, they wont make any money. and everyone knows you have to make money to stay in business.
the last lineup of G4s were supposedly being sold at around a 300 dollar profit to apple.
2000 - 3000 is a very fair price for the G5 IMO. I was really amazed that the top end was only 3k when the low end started at 2k [i was expecting 3.5 - 4k].
when i bought my dual 500 [the day they came out] it was 3600... so being 300 dollars cheaper for the top end machine is quite impressive.

Does this quell the dispute of too much? You get a faster machine with faster memory, more disc space, and more connections (firewire/1394, USB/USB2.0, Optical Audio, etc.), and a very stable OS for $840 LESS! Normally you get what you pay for, here you get a whole lot more for less. Remind me again why we're complaining?!?!?

Dell 450 Workstation
• Dual Xeon 3.06
• Windows XP SP1
• 512mb DDR 2600 ram
• 120gb 7200rpm drive
• 64mb ATI Fire Video
• 4x DVD RW/R
• 1394 card
• No modem
-------------------------------
$3839 (No office software selected)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apple G5
• Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
• Mac OS X
• 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256
• 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
• SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• 56k V.92 internal modem
-------------------------------
$2999

A Special Note to Those Complaining About High Apple Prices Regarding G5's:

Due to overwhelming demand, if you put your order in today, you should be able to get a G5 by September.

I know, many of you are unwilling to buy such an expensive box, but it seems lots of people are more than willing to cough up the cash.

Although I would like to see G5s starting at $599, (a guy could dream) Maybe Apple knows what they are doing.

"It's always the people who complain the loudest about price that aren't in the market anyway." I read that on Slashdot I think but I could be wrong. The point is valid tho. If the price were a little lower, the complaining might be quieter but there still would be no machine sold. I'm not saying that Apple can charge whatever they want and we should stay quiet about it, I'm saying that the types of people who complain are not the types that buy computers as tools but as toys. They want to have the biggest freudian bragging rights and enough money left over to pay off the computer they got 6 months ago.

Apple just raised their performance by 100% and the prices by 10%. Thus they effectively increased their price/performance ratio A LOT.
This means you now get a lot more more bang for little more buck.

Moreover, G4 prices are plummeting, both new and second hand. Machines that yesterday were great, now are second rate, and priced as such. I wouldn't mind to get a Dual G4 1.42 for half the price at which it was originally introduced ... :D

Don't complain: Rejoice! Apple's back in the pro market and the MHz gap is as good as closed. :)

I purchase gear for my business. As ugly as the new G5 is (to me - Jonathan Ive must have been strangled with all those airholes) nothing will stop me buying the top-of-the-range version at these prices:

3 years ago: 450GHz DP, 768 ram, 30GB HD, SCSI card, no Superdrive, standard video, internal Zip etc: £2,850-ish

This year: 2GHz DP, 2 gigs ram, 160GB HD, don't use SCSI anymore, Superdrive, Radion 9700 Pro card, probably won't bother with Zip this time, Bluetooth, etc: £2,200-ish including VAT.

Wait for Panther to appear and save £600 or so between old mid-range and new top-range. Suits my business's 3-year Mac budget just fine!

Yes, everyone has spoken. The G5's are priced well for their market. I guess what I'm looking for is a G5 in the iMac. Entry level machines in the PC world run circles around the iMacs in performance. So a low end G5 would be a perfect solution down the road. Maybe by MacWorld next January?

It's very good to be true. We alll know that G4 wasn't as good as they said or fast. But with G5 and 10.3, they got my money.

I just can't wait until August.

I still hope that they will release 2 button with scroll wheel that works as third button :) Is that too much to ask?

I happy with my DP500 but I will very happy with G5 :D

If you want a cheap box, then Apple is not for you. Ever since I stopped buying PCs, and moved over Mac (my initial reason was that I wanted a Unix box that did multimedia without headaches), I've never ceased to be amazed by the whole experience.

It's rather like that moment in life when you can for the first time buy a decent car, rather than just one that fits into a meagre budget. I love my eMac, and I worship my TiBook, and I think OS X should rule the world.

Hmmm... I just caught myself thinking "wait, the WWDC keynote was on Monday. Where's my new stuff on Tuesday?"

How greedy am I??

Rip

Apples dont really retain there value.. they just seem to because they stay high priced, because they are VERY high priced to begin with..

What im thinking is you would have to be stupid or desperate to get a g5 when they first release, i mean wait for panther, and the dual 3ghz, when those release, im anticipating a good price drop on the dual 2ghz..

and as for g4's when the g5's release in stores, a dual 1.42 is prolly gonna be in the 1600 range.. if so im sold.

What do you mean, Apples don't retain their value? I am currently typing this on a beige, 233 Mhz G3 tower that my family bought in Feb. 1998, and it can still run software like Adobe Photoshop 7. Show me a PC that's 5.5 years old that runs nearly as well on new software.

The new G5's are priced higher than the G4's because they have new technologies in them. They have: G5 PPC 970 processors; a frontside bus that runs at half the machine's clock speed; 8X AGP Pro graphics slots; a minimum of 80 GB hard drive; an expensive Superdrive; PCI-X slots on the mid-range and über-range; Firewire 800 and USB 2.0; and a completely new redesign. As the costs of these new technologies decrease, so too will the cost of the entire line decrease.

Modern computers are so quick now that even an old machine take the B&W G3 will do what the majority of people ask of a computer and also keep the majority of business users happy. Apple towers have always been Medium to hi-end machines specd at the print and digital media industry, however as the lifespan of productivity has increased the need for businesses to renew workstations reduces. PCs have a short cycle compared with Macs, they are bought cheaply and disposed of without much care. Macs are generally loved and retained until they are on their last legs.

I think thats the paradox right there if Apple wish to increase market share.

New Macs used to be bought as a matter of proceeder, when a new mac came out it ment a notable speed gain and work became more productive. This notable speed gain is now only reserved for hi-end users in digital video and 3d arenas. So now even a print graphics company, the steadfast of Apple buyers will be thinking twice about the necessity of a new machine at these prices.

Now look at the PC market; Surfing a web page, writing a word doc, calculating an excel spreadsheet??? This is what the majority of businesses require a computer for.

If Apple want to tap into the PC market share, which is a different kettle of fish from the current Mac one, then prices need to fall, especially as times and pursestrings are tight.

"The new G5's are priced higher than the G4's because they have new technologies in them."

What the ...? Computers will always have newer technology in them. Apple seems to think its in the car business. Technology should get cheaper not more expensive.

The dual 2ghz is priced right. The 1.6ghz is way overpriced. Apple needs a Power Mac around $1100 or so.

To all those who want a G5 in an iMac. Look at those processor cages, read the stuff about the 9 fans and look at the air-flow pictures. Then look at the base of an iMac and go: "Hmm..." (I guess that's Jonathan Ive's main 'thing' right now: Looking at the iMac, the G5, those air-flow pictures and going 'Hmm...'.)

Back