Apple kicks off open source developer!

That's old news now. Apple had every legal right to do it. He was in violation of the Apple TOS, which clearly stated that you have to be 18 or older. This is done to protect Apple because he could easily steal Apple's work and use it however he wants, because minors can usually be void from any contract they sign.

Does it make it right? No. But Apple has to do whatever they can to protect themselves from future theft and/or lawsuits. It would even be possible for him to sue Apple when he turned 18 to take out whatever he contributed to Darwin, which in turn would be a huge mess. Apple is just a regular business, if they look over certain things, it could be held against them in the future.

What they *should* have is a program where select minors can join with parental signature/monitoring which the Parent would become responsible and could not later sue Apple or try to have his works removed.

First, this is very old and has been discussed before. Second, the reason they had to pull his ADC account is because of his age, as he could not legally be accountable for the form he signed (or whatever he had to do to get the account). He still can contribute to Darwin, just not as a member of ADC (It's crappy, I know. But Apple is just covering their ass).

Yes, A program where a parent or guardian would sign for them would be very good. Where the parent would be liable for the person disobeying his NDA or whatever.

I think a lot of us look inconspicuous. For some reason I don't think Apple's gonna be checking up on us though :p

Exactly... in fact... nearly every single one of those 'agreements' state that you agree that you are 18 years of age or asks you to find a parent or gaurdian to click 'I Agree' for you.

Minors are legal Crisco... almost nothing short of capital crime sticks to them.

I think it may just be for higher up ADC memberships. I don't think they are worried about the one we all have (just to get the dev tools). I think they are more worried about the ones where you aggree to a non-disclosure aggreement and stuff like that. If I were the guy I would tell everyone all the stuff that he found out now that they have kicked him off. :)

Plex, I signed an NDA for apple to be in their OS Seed program :p

Okay, fine, my mom did, and they think SHE is doing it all, but, she signed it, and I do all the work :p

Back