Apple Mail 2.0 & 2.0.1 (tiger 10.4 & 10.4.2): Compose Window Fault

adthrawn

Registered
Hi,

On Monday, after using Mail on a desktop (running 10.4), when I created a new message, the usual Compose window showed but with noticeable differences:

- The accounts list was empty.
- The email body field (the lower half of the window) is not a field/can't be clicked into.

Disturbed, I continued to work with the the hopes of copying the Mail app from my PowerBook, or even rebuilding the Prop's List using the PowerBook's plist.

Yesterday (Wednesday), I started Mail on the PowerBook (running 10.4.1, and 10.4.2 as of this afternoon without any change), sent a few emails, did a few things and then tried replying to an email. The Compose window came up but:

- The accounts list was empty.
- The email body field (the lower half of the window) is not a field/can't be clicked into.

But now;

- The reply did not propagate any information into the fields.
- Clicking "Reply All" forces information into the fields, but the body field is still inactive.

Strangely, when you click on the Customise icon, the header fields correct themselves.

This has basically happened to a brand new PowerBook that's on a factory fresh install of Mac OS X, kept uptodate (10.4.2), and an 18 month old PowerMac G4 running an upgraded install of Mac OS X (10.4 from an upgraded 10.3), and the same problem seems to have happened on the same day, on two machines.

For a convergence like this to occur it's only possible to assume:

- an email received has caused this fault.
- there is a fault with the IMAP connection.
- there is a fault in the com.apple.mail prop's list.

I've managed to pull a few lines out of console, they seem to be failures from the auto-signature feature, complaining it's got nowhere to put the signature (ie, it can find the body field):

2005-07-21 04:38:16.688 Mail[2201] *** -[WebComposeBackEnd objectEnumerator]: selector not recognized [self = 0x6640320]

2005-07-21 04:38:45.287 Mail[2201] *** Assertion failure in -[WebMessageEditor updateContentsToShowSignature:], /SourceCache/MailViewer/MailViewer-727/Compose.subproj/WebMessageEditor.m:294

2005-07-21 04:38:45.300 Mail[2201] Can't change signature: don't know where to put it!

Luckily I've got webmail, and the drafts/sent is centralized, so I can send emails and get copies sync'd on both machines via IMAP. But what the hell has happened?! I'm lost, and looking for ideas.

Back