Apple Mail from a PC laptop

theduve

Registered
I have an iMac G5 Power PC at home running system 10.4.10 and an HP laptop running Windows XP for traveling. I would like to access my Apple Mail from the road with the PC laptop. If I access my email from my IP, which I can do, I have to wade through tons of garbage to get what I want. Any ideas?

Hm..
webmail (whichever server your mail are usually stored at), or if the mac is steadily on, you could either ssh to it or use Remote Desktop or VNC if you want to access the mail application located on your mac itself?
Or you can set up that mail account to be IMAP (if the server supports it) and set it up on both computers in IMAP format, and keep the mac running mail.app so the rules that you have in mail.app will sort your mails the way you like (folders, spam filters etc).

I use Google's FREE Gmail through the web interface. It works really well and has virtually unlimited storage (almost 3 gigs). You may want to consider switching to GMail.

Advantages of GMail include webmail speed and excellent spam filtering. I actually switched over to GMail because I had switched ISPs. Now, I can use GMail and my family email address will stay the same no matter how many times I switch Internet providers.

Send me a private message with your email address and I will send you and invitation to GMail if you're interested. I think you still need an invite to sign up. Again, it's free to sign up. There are small ads next to the emails. In my opinion, they are unobtrusive.

Doug

Back