Apple Mail keeps crashing

SarahJ

Registered
I am having trouble with Apple Mail. Lately it has asked me over and over for my gmail password for account. However, starting Monday Apple Mail crashes as soon as I open it. I ran the disk utility without any luck. I ran Mac OS Cocktail - no luck either. I also deleted the file: com.apple.mail.plist.
That allowed me to open up Mail and set up all new preferences. It does work as long as I do not include Gmail Apple Mail. That is the address I use most often and would really like it to work again.
I am new (9 months) to Macs to I'm sure, there is something I can do that I'm jsut not aware of.
Thanks!
SarahJ

Are you checking the 'Use SSL' box under the 'advanced' tab, changing the port to '995' and choosing 'password' as the authentication, while setting up the account?

When I was being asked repeatedly for my gmail password, this seemed to fix it. It never crashed on me though, only the endless nagging over the account pass.

Yes, I am doing both of the things you suggested.
Gmail worked fine in Apple mail for 9 months and then just suddenly stopped. I did set up another user for my computer and was able to add gmail successfully there. However, when I sign on as myself on the computer, gmail WILL NOT work at all.
I'm clueless.

After upgrading to tiger, there seemed to be many issues with mail. (crashes etc...) I gave up and switched to Thunderbird. Have not looked back since. Give it a try.

Back