Apple maintains lead with iTMS

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I agree that something has to happen to make sure that AAC and mp4 stays ahead of the pack and unfortunately Apple's advertising campaign can't do it alone.

While they don't have to open the portable market, they should license the technology of iTunes (i.e. allow non-portable manufacturers to build boom boxes and other stereo equipment that is compatible with iTunes play lists and auto syncs with your iPod) to create a bigger market for the codec.

Can you imagine a Bang and Olufsen dock for the iPod or a Panasonic CD, Cassette, HD machine with detachable speakers that uses iTunes in a cd control window?

Is it too late to call AACs what they are, MP4's? The majority of music consumers are technophobes and they barely understand mp3's. Using mp4 seems like a winner to me, people will automatically assume they are better (as they are).

AACs are not MP4s. So it's not too late to call them that, it's wrong. ;-) Well, MP3s are really MPEG-1 Layer 3 's, so maybe that argument is wrong, too...

No, I don't see Apple licensing "iTunes" that way. Wouldn't be easy, anyway. You'd need a Pentium III or G3 processor in that B&O stereo. ;-)

But I agree that Apple must do something to propagate MPEG-4, AAC and their AAC-DRM. I'm sure they have a plan. They don't _want_ to lose, do they?

Just up on the Apple site,

25 million songs sold

The iPod doesn't have a cpu, so why would the B&O stereo?

pds said:
Just up on the Apple site,

25 million songs sold

The iPod doesn't have a cpu, so why would the B&O stereo?

IIRC it does, just not a very powerful one. You can (almost) run linux on it after all!

But, anyway, yay Apple. Noticed two Apple related stories on the front page of BBC News today.

Back