Apple music store only in US?

Find a Yank you're mates with. Make a deal where he/she does the downloading for you and you rip/transfer to the iPod. Split the cost if all share or whatever's fair.
That or find a mate who has a US address and have them do it for ya (or, *ahem* borrow their address) until it goes international. I'm sure it'll be sooner rather than later.
That or have a list ready to go from browsing so once you do get the green light, it's full on till morning.

I understand that Apple would need to do a lot of work to find similar deals in different countries (Europe, Australasia etc.), but do you really think they have pulled their finger out to try? I for one don't think so...

I'm still waiting for Sherlock localisation and iPhoto capabilities which are relevant to my country rather than the US.

It does worry me a bit. Especially as it involves deals with record companies! Hopefully Apple did think about this previously and it won't take too long to happen. Hmm.

i know it's illegal (and i'll probably stop doing it once i get out of uni and get a real job AND apple get their shite together) but:

[edit] sorry nope :) - Jason

..btw i'm new here, am i allowed to post this?..

Aaaaaaah, technically no :)
Well... as long as you don't start talking about anything you have downloaded, then I think your are allowed to talk about the application itself, but we'll see. A little while ago the moderators went really crazy about that sort of thing. Started removing any post that even had one of those words in it.
I guess you will find out as soon as one of them drops by though :)

the music companies who licensed the content for Apple to make this service possible are taking it one step at a time. They want to see how well the service does, plus how it affects sales of CDs from traditional locations. So, they limit the rollout to one country and keep a close eye on the numbers for a short period (6 months probably).

Then again, if the service goes well, they might try to roll out their own in another country, so it could get up to speed without having to compete with Apple's service...

Either way, I'm sure by years end Europe will be able to access the service, and hopefully Austrailia too...

How well it does?

Well, I live in Iceland, where CDs cost waaaaaay too much ($25-30 usually). Because of this, I just don't buy CDs here. I will buy the occasional CD when travelling to USA, or UK where things may be better. Sales of Macs outside USA account for almost half of sales. Along comes a service that looks great, and where the prices are reasonable. i for one would love to start downloading songs. This would be extra money for the companies, because at present, I just don't pay the inflated prices. If they want to roll out different prices for us in Europe, like they do with normal CDs, so be it. My point is that with a Mac only service at present, doubling the number of people that will use the service would make more sense at the trial stage, while they roll out the software to let Windows users in on the deal.

We really get a second class service here in Europe. We pay more for the hardware and software, and don't get the perks (such as free prints from the iPhoto stores).

We live in a global economy, where the only way forward would be to roll out truly international standards that let everyone join in simultaneously. If Apple could do that, that would be a real step forward.

They can take my $99 for .Mac, why then not for this service? I understand when shipping is involved that there are other considerations, but this is a downloading service. If the music companies really believe that this will revive their flagging sales, then they should maximise their target audience from the start. At present the whole system is on trial, since it is available just to Mac users. Until Windows users have access, it is up to us.

Cmon Steve, let us make this a success.

We really get a second class service here in Europe. We pay more for the hardware and software, and don't get the perks (such as free prints from the iPhoto stores).

And we get second class cell phone service here in the US. We get all the cool phones 9-18 months after Europe...Thems da breaks...

They can take my $99 for .Mac, why then not for this service?

Most likely because Apple doesn't own the content, and had to abide by the labels rules in this initial rollout. I'm sure the labels are interested in taking your money, but first they probably want to be sure they aren't going to be undercutting their other business in Europe. Remember, a few of these labels are the proprietors of their own online music services....

I understand when shipping is involved that there are other considerations, but this is a downloading service

There are so many legal hurdles it's amazing SJ was able to pull the whole package together in the first place. The labels own the music, so in most cases, it's their call where/how/when it get's distributed. To make matters more complicated, some of the more saavy artists have contracts that stipulate whether the label can deliver music electronically.

Be patient. It's going to take time. It's a great idea, and a great service. It's going to make it to Europe (and the rest of the world) as soon as the labels see that it actually works...

This morning i read an article in a journal in Belgium (de Morgen). The chief of Apple Belgium said that Apple is working on the music store for Europe.

"It takes a bit longer to start one in Europe because there are more laws on music distributing. In America there's 1 big law about it, in Europe there are a lot more. But we're working on it as fast as we can!"
-Steven Van den Eynde, Apple Belgium.

senne.

It will come to Australia as well ... I guess it started in US only to see how it starts to run. Once it starts to work it'll come to other countries as well; Japan, Europe, Australia ... I think as Europe is so different by its countries (laws, taxes, bureaucracy, oterh record companies etc), it'd have been too much to start it there on the same time. It'll come there, don't worry... :p

How do the PeeCee music stores work? Can you download music from them anywhere in the world?

Originally posted by Ugg
How do the PeeCee music stores work? Can you download music from them anywhere in the world?

Not sure, it depends on whether they've licensed the music for distribution outside the US. I'm interested to find out actually. The big thing about Apple's service is that they've got deals with all of the Big 5, that's a lot of legal work and it will take even more wrangling to get deals for outside the US. I just hope that they started doing that a while ago and are well on the way to getting it sorted. :)

Back