Apple Office??

kcwookie

Registered
Now that M$ has announced the next version of Office, with it's insane upgrade price, when will we see a real upgrade to AppleWorks? It can't happen soon enough.

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back to TextEdit... Office v. XI for Mac!" *DUN DUN DUUUUUUUNNNNNN....*

lol. seriously, Isn't the latest office "v. X"?

Anyone have a link or info on this? I'd really like to know considering I'm working on the 10.3 environment for my company!

No, but I have my ear to the ground. I would like to see Mail improved. It needs to get some of the features of Entourage.

I'd love to see apple link Mail, Address Book, and iCal together even further and that could be even better than Outlook.

No. not in panther. but adressbook and mail is a lot nicer. I bet apple will release a new version of iCal that will be panther only... it really needs an update.

It seems pretty obvious that Apple plans to 'replace' Entourage/Outlook with their Mail.app/iCal/Address Book package. Yes, it still needs work in order to replace that, but it's on a good way, and integration is already there. I'm sure iCal 2 will rock, and Mail.app and Address Book have already come a good way.

Now on to Office.

Keynote ~ PowerPoint
If Apple wants Keynote to be a real competitor, the file format exchange has still to be improved. Also: Keynote needs a bit less bells and whistles and better integration with other applications (why not Word & Excel, but more importantly: with RTF-Import/-Links etc.).

TextEdit (Pro) ~ Word
TextEdit (the one included with Panther) is already a nice little word processing application. It's lacking some 'pro' features - but basically a Pro version of TextEdit for 99$ could replace MS Word for many, many users. Another thing: Nisus Writer Express is quite nice. If it earns Word compatibility through Mac OS X' text handling framework (TextEdit), it's basically there, and there's no actual need for an Apple Document application (as has been rumoured). However, Apple might want to make their own - and maybe has some pretty good ideas.

? ~_Excel
For real Office users, a good Excel replacement must be available, if Apple wants to be able to compete. If they only take what AppleWorks' spreadsheet part can do, that actually won't do, I think. It's good, but not good enough. Well: Apple still has some time. Office 11 for Mac will come, and until then, there's Office v. X.

Keynote ~ PowerPoint
If Apple wants Keynote to be a real competitor, the file format exchange has still to be improved. Also: Keynote needs a bit less bells and whistles and better integration with other applications (why not Word & Excel, but more importantly: with RTF-Import/-Links etc.).

One of the biggest problems is screen size. Keynote uses 800x600 and PowerPoint uses 720x480.

I think they're very close and I really expected in in Panther, but my Dev Release doesn't have it. This may just be features they hold back to get people to buy the GM version....like File Vault.

I don't think that these will be Panther features, really. There's too much money to be made...

Maybe there will be a consumer line that comes for free and a pro line for a charge, where you can upgrade your iCal/Mail/Address Book like you do with Quicktime to enable editing and full screen.

The more I think about it, offering the Mail/iCal/AB combo for free with the option to upgrade for, lets say, $29.99 to some good gimicky name Pro would be an awesome idea! They give a great free product and the option to buy more features for a power user/corporate user.

So if ms DID pull the plug on office when or if apple releases a good office replacement, whats the worse that could happen?

Ok, some issues mabey - but if Apple nutted it down so darn well to the point where there couldnt be any problems eg: compatability and so on. would'nt people be more enclined to switch? especially where there would be a cheaper software option? also the apple stores could demo it to new users.

what would ms do then?

just out of conversational interests....

Back