Apple owes FreeBSD

But why do you need different spellings? I mean. OK, if you're all illiterate hicks, then fair enough. we'll allow you things like color, and apologize. But for gods sake, just admit that you don't know how it's supposed to be spelt.

:p

Just because we don't bow to the Queen anymore, doesn't mean we owe y'all anything. Besides, what's up with footy and gridiron? Talk about inventing words.
OK, to keep on thread, I think Apple should port an (Ozzy) version of QT with just a big play button so it's not too technical.

Simplicity. Because some Australians get really confused by new words.

:D :D :D

Pengu said:
But why do you need different spellings? I mean. OK, if you're all illiterate hicks, then fair enough. we'll allow you things like color, and apologize. But for gods sake, just admit that you don't know how it's supposed to be spelt.

:p

That's "spelled". There is no -t suffix. Oh wait, this is English, the language of contradictory grammar and spelling rules.

Of course, that's why we speak "'merican"

Gallagher's diatribe on "-ough" words was one of my favorites.

I think this thread was about something else at one point, what was it again?

Simplicity. Because some Australians get really confused by new words.
So it's on to abuse and slander now is it?
How about this:
Simplicity. Because no Yankee ***** Doodle can see that they are the most backwards country in the world. Every other major country understands how the metric system works. Yanks just ***** it all up and blow up multi-billion dollar space craft because they can't work out how to multiply something by ten or one hundred, or a thousand.

Or how about this:
Idiocy. Because every yank thinks they are the dogs *****, and every other country should be like them, and conform to what they think is right.

As for the rest.
what's up with footy and gridiron? Talk about inventing words.
A) "footy" is a slang term, or nickname for Football, which you ***** are all fascinated with, whatever code it may be.
B) while the game gridiron does relate to an australian only game, so what? I made no complaint about making up NEW words. new words are made up whenever a new product is created/patented.

My issue is that you mis-spell words, and then try to pass them off as meaning the same thing. eg:
"their" means something completely different to "there"
by the same rule, "color" should mean something different to "colour". And since "colour" is the english (and correct) version, and has been around for many hundreds, if not thousands of years longer than the american spelling, "color" is in fact just a typo that every one of you stupid ***** makes whenever you write/type it.

So, given the fact that you couldn't even comprehend the message I wrote, and completely missed the point, why is it that WE need a simplified version of QuickTime?

And while we're throwing out slander, don't try to make Australia and/or Australians sound simple/stupid/etc, while you still spend millions of dollars a year on ***** like Jerry Springer, Ricki Lake and Oprah. And hey, who can forget the only country claiming to be democratic, ***** ***** ***** ***** [completely off-topic].

This will quite likely get edited, but I don't really give two *****. The admins are obviously quite happy to turn a blind eye when it suits them, so why should i expect any different when I happen to voice a different opinion?

Your post wasn't edited because you've stated a 'different opinion', but because you completely ignored the board rules about swearing (for one thing) and have tried to turn a thread about something completely different into a flame-thread about different spellings in different versions of the English language.

Some of your arguments may be quite good, actually, but it doesn't matter. Stay away from flaming, pengu. And if you're getting angry, take a seat in the 'Café' forum and cool down. ;-)

And may I remind you that the beginning of all this (which was my comment about "its" and "it's") was just about a common mix-up. Nothing racist or anything. (And I think it's important that people learn to use "its" and "it's" in the right places...)

How did this have anything to do with what countries Fryke and I are from?

I can't spell, oh well. Laugh it off and move on.

So back to BSD/Quicktime/etc...

If Linux starts to gain market share on the desktop, which it looks like it may finally be poised to do in 2004 (especially on corporate desktops), how long do you think it will be before Apple decide to port the Quicktime player to Linux? What do you think the requirements will be? 5% market share? 10?

As I said, once this port is finished it's much much easier to envision Quicktime being ported to other *nixes, though I'd say Apple would most likely consider it completely not worth the effort even at that point to port to, say, Solaris, BSD, AIX, etc. There's just way too small a number of users on each platform that might want to use Quicktime, without much indication that that will change (I could see Irix, possibly, just because of the number of high-end graphic design folks using it... Though that market is slowly disappearing and being replaced with Windows (if users stick with SGI)).

Back