Apple PDA soon?

at one point maybe that went to the newton. but i don't think that apple is going to ever enter the PDA market again

Sorry about jumping threads, but I was just talking with some friends about that recently.
While it's not Apple, I do have an Aqua flavor to my Tungsten/T. I use a launcher program that gives it an Aqua look right down to the flexible dock where various functions of the pda are given Mac icons such as mail, home, ichat, etc.
And for the mp3 player for it (which I use rarely, preferring my iPod, but it is nice when you don't want to carry both around), I have another skin that gives it the iTunes interface.

I've created iPhoto slideshows on it and even used a program to transfer home-made QuickTime/iMovie movies onto it. And I got a Bluetooth dongle for one of my iBooks to wirelessly sync with it.

In fact, my girlfriend has redubbed it the iBooklet (I tried the Mini-me Mac but that was rejected) because I'm always trying to Mac-ify it as much as possible. :cool:

steve said no pda . that is tue.

but hasn't it been a few years now since he said that?

personally - get me iphone and i'll be fine thanks

There are plenty of iPhones out there. Nokia 3650, Nokia 7650, Nokia 9210i, SonyEricsson P800, SonyEricsson T68i, SonyEricsson T610 (following)...

Unless, of course, it really _has_ to be Apple branded...

there are also plenty of "ibook's" out there. sony vaio, dell latitude....

unless, of course, it really has to be something usefull, loaded with great technologies and beautiful designed. ;-)

i want to say: "thats cool! i didn't even think of that! i'm buying!"

i'm waiting for some device that really helps me communicate and organize in my daily life.

apple has what it takes to stunn the world with really cool and usefull things.

Originally posted by Jack Hammer
steve said no pda . that is tue.

but hasn't it been a few years now since he said that?

personally - get me iphone and i'll be fine thanks

those phones are fine

we both know if apple made a phone it would blow away the restof the crap instananeously design and tech wise

rio made cool 64mb mp3 players before the ipod make them look like morons with no vision.

anytime apple makesanything, i'm sure they want to lead the industry rather than make another run of the mill BS product like Dell does (see dell pda and etc)

Very Interesting.

Every family would want one, the only thing is it would have to be very inexpensive.

I was talking to a mate a few months ago and he said that he wanted a small computer just to do the basic things like shopping, internet, etc, in his kitchen. he thought an imac was to expensive so didn't bother about it. if this is under the $500 - 700 US mark $1000 AUS then i think it could be a sure success hit. the new iChat 2.0 with video chating would surly go wild.

And if it was promoted correctly. Like explaining the right use for it, showing people using it and OS X. This is very important in advertising and if my feelings are right then apple will surly have a BIG winner.

Price would be a concern. If you look at the iPod, it's a great device, but the price does scare some people off.
That said, it would be tough for Apple to corner enough of a market to make it work. If it went upscale, it would have to compete with the low-end spectrum of Macs now.
If it went the cheap route, it would have to compete with everything from basic pdas such as the zire to upscale models such as the Tungsten T and Sony Clies. Plus, if it was cheap, it would be bare-bones and that might soil the image of Macs and potentially scare off buyers in that market.
I doubt we'll see an Apple pda for some time. More likely, it'll be some future intergration of devices such as the iPod and/or pda.
An iPod could be given a touch screen and some stripped-down programs, kind of like an iLife lite. And with better support and more choices in programs and Mac compatibility, existing pdas can work in better concert with Macs, such as the bluetooth function.
While an iPDA or iPhone would be cool, it doesn't seem to make sense, imho, for Apple to re-invent the wheel in an already crowded market. All it needs to do is better bridge the gap between pdas such as Palm and Sony and mobile phones such as Nokia, SE, Samsung, etc.

i think those type of devices will be in the future when the concept of computers is like how we view tvs. most people do have 2 tvs in their house. often like a smaller one in the bedroom, kidsroom, family room and kitchen.

we will see it when all macs and pcs are lightning fast (6 ghz for normal top end PCS and the this type of system will feature a 4 ghz machine)

so there. iin the future but not now.

Back