Rusher of Din
I got an IOGear KVM switch to control my Mac, Sun, and PC running
Win2k. Under Win2k, they keyboard doesn't work, but the mouse plugged
into the keyboard does. In the keyboard properties under Win2k, it
says "This device cannot start (Code 10)." If I look in the
properties in Device Manager for the "Generic USB Hub", it says "Hub
In Apple Extended USB Keyboard". So it seems to see it, the mouse
through it works, but I get that error on the keyboard
properties itself, and of course it doesn't work.

Any ideas why this would happen?

Thanks.

do you have the same problem without the switch?

i don't remember any problems when i was using my Apple pro keyboard on a win2k PC (no switch), i have since upgraded to a mac at work.

another guy at work has a switch (different than yours) with the Apple pro keyboard and switches between mac and PC, alot of times he has to unplug the keyboard and plug it back in, same thing with the mouse though. his problem does not seem to be related to the Apple Keyboard, but rather switching with any USB keyboard.

you might want to check user groups about the switch or their web site faqs.

anyway, hope this helps. good luck.

wow.

didn't realize how long ago this was posted. i am sure you have figured it out by now. :)

No, I haven't. Any ideas? The only suggestion to reinstall Windows seems ridiculous to me. :-/ There has got to be some way to deal with the USB driver(s) to see it. As I have said, the keyboard itself won't work, but the hub in it does, since the mouse works through it. Of course on the Mac it's fine.

no i don't think reinstalling windows will do anything. did you try it with out the switch though?

Ended up being a driver issue. kbdhid.sys was from 2001, so I tried removing it and redetecting the keyboard, and it replaced it with a version from 1999, and all is well. Works perfectly.

Well might be a stupid move if you will be plugging it directly into the PC, unless you never use the Windows keys. I think it's the KVM switch that does it, but the Apple key becomes a Windows key. Pretty cool.

Back