Apple Remote Desktop

cpk0

Registered
So what do you all think about this thing. It came out of no where as far as i can tell, and its basicly taking on timbuktu's ubiquitous reign in this area. I would really liek to be able to remote desktop to my mac from a mac that doesnt have this thign installed, otherwise its a bit useless in common situations. That is untill alot of mac users, mac labs get this installed.

(http://apple.com/remotedesktop/ if you havent seen it yet)

This is great for Schools and companies running macs!
$499 for unlimited licence!!

Not really for "personal use" but thats what timbuktoo is for.
Also VNC (free!!)works great for personal use.

I could also prove very useful to remotely control MacOSX-based web and app servers. Like X or ssh on vanilla UNIX/Linux.

dani++

This looks like the MacOS X version of ANAT, Apple Network Assistant, that mac administrators have been waiting for.

It can't be compared to Timbuktu or VNC, since remote screen-controlling is just one of many features. Apple Remote Desktop can also get reports from all machines on the network, lock user screens (for classroom-situations), mirror hard drives, distribute software large-scale (5000 users!), get a list of all installed software, controll access levels etc.

$500 for unlimited licenses is nothing compared to NetOctopus or other similar products already out there. This must be perfect for school labs or businesses to control and support all computers on the network.

Back